NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Noaa 'champions' Another Closure - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Noaa 'champions' Another Closure

NOAA 'CHAMPIONS' ANOTHER CLOSURE
No Red Snapper Fishing Until Further Notice

December 4, 2009 - On Thursday afternoon, President Obama wrapped up a jobs forum in Michigan by challenging the nation's top CEOs, business leaders and economists to come up with innovative ideas to put Americans back to work. At the same time, NOAA Fisheries issued pink slips to thousands of South Atlantic and Gulf fishermen who rely on access to a healthy red snapper fishery.

On December 3, NOAA announced a 6-month ban on both the recreational and commercial harvest of red snapper in South Atlantic federal waters off Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina beginning on January 4. The provisions specified in the interim prohibition rule also apply to a person on-board a vessel for which a federal commercial or charter/headboat permit for the South Atlantic snapper-grouper fishery has been issued, regardless of whether the fish are harvested or possessed in state or federal waters.

U.S. Congressman John L. Mica (FL-07) called the Administration's decision to impose the ban on red snapper fishing throughout the Southeast U.S. coast an economic disaster for the region. "During this time of economic downturn this ban will be a significant job killer and an economic blow to nearly every coastal community from North Carolina to South Florida," stated Mica.

Dave Heil, a Florida-based attorney for the Recreational Fishing Alliance (RFA) has filed a lawsuit in federal court in Jacksonville and will seek an emergency injunction to prevent the ban from taking effect and asking a judge to throw out the rule that created the ban. "We have today filed a lawsuit in Federal Court in Jacksonville, FL and we feel confident that once a federal judge reviews the arbitrary and capricious methods used by the National Marine Fisheries Service, the closure will be overturned," Heil said.

Heil and the RFA charge that the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council (SAFMC) and National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) are using improper data to drive their decision, and explain the government has already acknowledged that the data collection methodology used to make the closure determination was never intended to be used for such purposes. The red snapper complaint filed on behalf of the RFA charges NMFS with ignoring mandates from the federal fisheries law (Magnuson Stevens Act) to address inconsistencies within the data collection process. "It is apparent that the SAFMC and the NMFS have ignored the Magnuson Stevens in passing the Interim Rule using the obviously flawed data from MRFSS," Heil added.

"This ban will put thousands of marginal sport fishing tourist enterprises out of business," Rep. Mica said, adding "The timing couldn't be worse for Florida with its tourism and fishing seasons set to begin at the start of the New Year and with the economy at its worst in years.".

At a NOAA sponsored tackle trade show summit in October held in San Diego, CA, Under-Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere and NOAA Administrator, Jane Lubchenco told tackle industry leaders that NOAA was actively responding to the concerns expressed by recreational fishing leaders "that we don't pay enough attention to recreational fishing," summarizing her address by saying "We will be your champions." In her first 9 months as NOAA Administrator, the former Pew Fellowship Award winner has championed the complete recreational closure of black sea bass, amberjack and red snapper.

"If this is what Ms. Lubchenco means by being our champion, I'd hate to think about what NOAA will do when they decide to really go after us," said Jim Donofrio, Executive Director of the RFA. Donofrio said the RFA has already submitted a legal challenge in the Mid-Atlantic in response to the NOAA's decision to close the sea bass fishery, and he's hoping that the RFA FL membership base can help rally around Heil's legal challenge on behalf of red snapper.

"NOAA continues to put nails into the coffin of the beleaguered recreational marine industry, while the preservationists over at Pew Environment Group are already dancing on our graves," Donofrio said. Soon after NOAA's announcement about the red snapper closure, Holly Binns, manager of the Pew Environment Group's Campaign to End Overfishing in the Southeast said "Today's decision symbolizes an important first step towards saving the severely overfished red snapper." Many southeast fishermen dispute Pew's claims that the snapper are overfished and say the science being used is flawed and misleading.

In July, Rep. Mica introduced legislation that requested additional data collection before any ban was imposed, although the legislation had bipartisan support, environmental groups like Pew Environment Group and Pew-funded allies within the Marine Fish Conservation Network blocked consideration of the bill which was denied a hearing. "They're imposing a ban with flawed data and they've refused to sit down with the industry and come up with a better management solution," Mica said.

In addition to the latest legal challenge submitted in Jacksonville, RFA continues to seek support from Florida Senator Bill Nelson for the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act of 2009 (S-1255). "Recent amendments to the Magnuson Stevens Act have led to these arbitrary and unprecedented restrictions on many of our most important recreational fisheries in the Gulf and South Atlantic," Donofrio said. "We believe that Magnuson can be amended to allow a balance of conservation and access at the same time."

More than 150 groups, organizations and businesses have signed on with the RFA to support S-1255, including Cooperative of Gulf Fishermen, Destin Charter Boat Association, Fishing Rights Alliance, Indian River Charter Boat Association, Marco Island Charter Captains Association, Panama City Boatmen Association, Pensacola Charterboat Association and South Atlantic Charterboat Association. National supporting groups include Marine Retailers Association of America, National Association of Charterboat Operators and National Marine Manufacturers Association.

See the full list of supporters at http://www.joinrfa.org/Press/Flexibi...ers_061809.pdf.

For background information on MRFSS, visit www.joinrfa.org/Press/RFA_MRFSS.pdf.

About Recreational Fishing Alliance
The Recreational Fishing Alliance is a national, grassroots political action organization representing recreational fishermen and the recreational fishing industry on marine fisheries issues. RFA's Mission is to safeguard the rights of saltwater anglers, protect marine, boat and tackle industry jobs, and ensure the long-term sustainability of our Nation's saltwater fisheries.

For more information about the RFA call 888-JOIN-RFA or visit www.joinrfa.org.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Noaa 'champions' Another Closure

They're working out the kinks of how to shut down recreational fluke (as well as other recreational species) for the near future as we speak.

Excerpts from the MAFMC – Summer Flounder Committee Discussion – July, 2009

RED MUNDEN: Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

I have a question for Mike relative to the accountability measures being automatic. Could you do something like an in-season closure and give the Regional Administrator the authority to implement that rather than the following year?

MICHAEL PENTONY: Yes.

JACK TRAVELSTEAD: How would you do that in-season? How would you?

MICHAEL PENTONY: How? In the specifics say of the summer flounder recreational fishery, I think you could say that if the – if knowing the performance of the -- of the modes over time, you could see that in years, say, in years in which more than 60 percent of the recreational allocation was landed prior to the end of, say, Wave 3, then if you reach that -- if you hit that signal, then you would give the Regional Administrator the authority to take action in say Wave 4 or 5.

--------------------

FYI, Wave 3 is May & June - Wave 4 is July & Aug - Wave 5 is Sept & Oct
Old 12-04-2009, 04:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBangler
They're working out the kinks of how to shut down recreational fluke (as well as other recreational species) for the near future as we speak.

Excerpts from the MAFMC – Summer Flounder Committee Discussion – July, 2009

RED MUNDEN: Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

I have a question for Mike relative to the accountability measures being automatic. Could you do something like an in-season closure and give the Regional Administrator the authority to implement that rather than the following year?

MICHAEL PENTONY: Yes.

JACK TRAVELSTEAD: How would you do that in-season? How would you?

MICHAEL PENTONY: How? In the specifics say of the summer flounder recreational fishery, I think you could say that if the – if knowing the performance of the -- of the modes over time, you could see that in years, say, in years in which more than 60 percent of the recreational allocation was landed prior to the end of, say, Wave 3, then if you reach that -- if you hit that signal, then you would give the Regional Administrator the authority to take action in say Wave 4 or 5.

--------------------

FYI, Wave 3 is May & June - Wave 4 is July & Aug - Wave 5 is Sept & Oct
Thanks for that scary information. I believe CaptTB and the others alluded to this senerio at the meeting.

If this ever came to be "they" would have a bigger problem on their hands. Every man and women has their limits....

Leif
Old 12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

And yet, people wonder why I bash this current administration and the head idiot so much! Penn
Old 12-06-2009, 06:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Penn, keep on bitchin! I do it everyday over this administration!

The day they shut down fluke is the day you will see me on the cover of a newspaper, as I will go postal!

This country is no longer the country I grew up in! 2010 can't come soon enough.

How does everyone like the "hope and change" so far! The sad part is that obama told us he was going to do this when he was campaigning I think he said "we are going to fundamentally change this country" he is just keeping his promises!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve
Penn, keep on bitchin! I do it everyday over this administration!

The day they shut down fluke is the day you will see me on the cover of a newspaper, as I will go postal!

This country is no longer the country I grew up in! 2010 can't come soon enough.

How does everyone like the "hope and change" so far! The sad part is that obama told us he was going to do this when he was campaigning I think he said "we are going to fundamentally change this country" he is just keeping his promises!

Steve, I'm with you. He sucks, PERIOD! And half of his administration should be in jail anyway for tax evasion. He does nothing but say the USA is arrogant, BLAME everybody else for the economy, and LIE about global warming now. Not to mention that him and the Dem's are going to F-UP the best health care system in the world. And now since these F'in TERRORISTS haven't been read their MIRANDA RIGHTS, this A-HOLE administration is going to have to let them out on bail. This has to be a NIGHTMARE which I hope to wake up from any day now. VICTORY 2010. Penn

Last edited by penn50w; 12-06-2009 at 07:13 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It's not about that. It's not about Obama, it's not about the Democrats or the Republicans. I'ts about the un-unified fisherman we are. Recreational, Comercial, we all want the same thing. Sustainable fisheries to provide us with an income or recreation we can pass on to our children.

DO NOT USE THIS FORUM TO DO OTHERWISE.

Warning # 1.

Leif

Last edited by Leif; 12-06-2009 at 08:46 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Subject: WW II Battleship sailor tells Obama to shape up or ship out!

This venerable and much honored WW II vet is well known in Hawaii
for his seventy-plus years of service to patriotic organizations and causes
all over the country. A humble man without a political bone in his body,
he has never spoken out before about a government official, until now.
He dictated this letter to a friend, signed it and mailed it to the president.

Dear President Obama,

My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.
I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a "rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor, allowing me to keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.
One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my mind, blunt and direct even to the head man. So here goes.
I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do, but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.
I can't figure out what country you are the president of.
You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies like:
" We're no longer a Christian nation"
" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even
announced to the world,"America is mean-
spirited. " Please tell her to try preaching
that nonsense to 23 generations of our
war dead buried all over the globe who
died for no other reason than to free a
whole lot of strangers from tyranny and
hopelessness.)

I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America, nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.

After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals."

Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that 11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn't mean the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.

I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people understood when they helped to get you elected.

Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.

Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania Avenue. You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like slaves.

And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black college professor in Massachusetts, who was putting up a fight? You don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.

One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never had to defend your country with your life, but you're the Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission, give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out. The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political strategy you're thinking of.

You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest challenge ever presented to any president.

You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now.

And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this final battle.

Sincerely,

Harold B. Estes

When a 95 year old hero of the "the Greatest Generation"

stands up and speaks out like this, I think we owe it

to him to send his words to as many Americans as

we can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailor.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	18076  
Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

OOOOOOOOOOOO You been WARNED.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image004.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	18082  

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken bobber
OOOOOOOOOOOO You been WARNED.....
Warning # 2

Leif
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	viking.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	18090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viking 2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	18094  

Last edited by Leif; 12-06-2009 at 10:20 PM..