NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Plain Lead Jighead vs. Painted Jig Head ? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Plain Lead Jighead vs. Painted Jig Head ?

Tropics, very nice !
Old 01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have been on a big UV Kick since early last year. I intended it as informational to keep guys from getting ripped off by the imported stuff making its way here. but it quickly turned ugly when other dealers made fools of themselves, attempting to call me out on a topic they had no clue about.

To keep it as short as possible..... about 4 years ago, I started to look into this heavily, thanks to Jerry from OMT Jigs. He was already knee deep and let me on to what he was doing... using me as a lab rat. Blind testing of UV and non UV jigs. Well, we think alike and I started the same with friends and some customers. When its blind testing its REAL RESULTS! If I handed you a jig and said its UV and better, your going to fish it more often, not being fair to the twin that is not UV treaeted. So we kept it all a secret. To get good honest results. The results were and still are overwhelming!

UV is seen by iover 95% of the species in the ocean, known by science. We as humans cant see it. But just like gravity.... its there. Fish and other wildlife use it daily for many things such as breeding, hunting, communicating and so on.

UV is in fact a Violet Color, just like the jig shown here in this thread. Here is quick run down and I will answer any questions you guys have.

1- UV Is Violet Lightwaves.

2- All of the bright greens, yellows , oranges and such are NOT UV in nature. They are fluorescent, and look brighter to fish than they do to us, but they are NOT UV. UV can only be of violet color. A Purple Haze kind of, over top of these bright colors

3- There are different types of UV, such as UVA and UVB. They each have their own effects, under certain conditions.

4- UV lures are more visible during the day, not at night! ( This is where UV Glow comes into play. Not regular Glow, but UV GLOW) The guys who say its not as good during the day have no clue what they are saying.
Look at the UV Index for sunburn. Its strongest during the day, your not getting burned at night right??? Well... do the math.

5- UV treate djigs/lures work both night & day, to depths of about 600' or so, and UV Glow is rerally hot at night, as it emmits its own UV light source, so to say!

There are dealers, lure makers and fishermen who claim UV is no big deal, its a hoax, it does not work. I will go as far as publicly saying that these guys do not know what they are saying, and need to do some real research before making these claims. They are ego maniacs, who try to put people down, only concerned for themselves. So if you know a guy who has told you UV is a scam..... by all means tell him to read my response here.

Becauase there are differen types of UV light, and many products out there, OMT spent years testing them. Some remove the paint from jigs, others are weak and not as effective as some, and some do not jive with certain colors, and are not consistant to be used for products.

Jerry from OMT, has spent a ton of money on this stuff, and time. I cant give up his "secret sauce" for other lure makers to use and thats OK, because most of them say its BS anyway..... so IM sure they dont want to know. To be honest, I know its a mix, but I am not even certain of exactly what is in there. I do know it works better than any other I have tried. I buy it in "un marked" containers.

We do sell it at the shop. We have boith the UV Blast stuff and another one I buy in an unmarked container, so I cant even tell you where to buy it if I wanted to. The UV Blast is ok for the quick trips and it works pretty good, short term.... BUT... it comes off and loses its effectiveness, so its not ideal to make a quality jig or lure with. It will work eniough to prove to you that UV matters though!

We have fished identical jigs side by side.... 1 with UV, 1 without. The average on a decent sday of fishing is about an honest 10-1 or 12-1 ratio. In favor of the UV.

I will go as far as saying that its so effective, that some of the best days we had for tuna, shark and even fluke, happened when the sun was giving off solar storms and there was a high level of solar radiation and UV light penetrating our atmosphere! YES.... I HAVE RESEARCHED THIS THAT MUCH!!!! ( You can laugh all you want, but I think 2014 will be a good year for us with tournaments and such. )

Its all actual facts here, no gimmicks. You can research it yourselves. I have kept notes and have had over 50 different people from all over, helping us test it. Its for real. There is a difference between UVA and UVB. Theres a huge difference between UV GLOW and Regular GLOW.

My biggest reason for the initail push last year was because imports were coming in as UV Products, when they were nothing more than Fluorescent Products. I tried to explain the difference, had a few here in the "fan Club" give me some crap.... so I have been proving my point ever since. Just for the hell of it.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Plain Lead Jighead vs. Painted Jig Head ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast View Post
I have been on a big UV Kick since early last year. I intended it as informational to keep guys from getting ripped off by the imported stuff making its way here. but it quickly turned ugly when other dealers made fools of themselves, attempting to call me out on a topic they had no clue about.

To keep it as short as possible..... about 4 years ago, I started to look into this heavily, thanks to Jerry from OMT Jigs. He was already knee deep and let me on to what he was doing... using me as a lab rat. Blind testing of UV and non UV jigs. Well, we think alike and I started the same with friends and some customers. When its blind testing its REAL RESULTS! If I handed you a jig and said its UV and better, your going to fish it more often, not being fair to the twin that is not UV treaeted. So we kept it all a secret. To get good honest results. The results were and still are overwhelming!

UV is seen by iover 95% of the species in the ocean, known by science. We as humans cant see it. But just like gravity.... its there. Fish and other wildlife use it daily for many things such as breeding, hunting, communicating and so on.

UV is in fact a Violet Color, just like the jig shown here in this thread. Here is quick run down and I will answer any questions you guys have.

1- UV Is Violet Lightwaves.

2- All of the bright greens, yellows , oranges and such are NOT UV in nature. They are fluorescent, and look brighter to fish than they do to us, but they are NOT UV. UV can only be of violet color. A Purple Haze kind of, over top of these bright colors

3- There are different types of UV, such as UVA and UVB. They each have their own effects, under certain conditions.

4- UV lures are more visible during the day, not at night! ( This is where UV Glow comes into play. Not regular Glow, but UV GLOW) The guys who say its not as good during the day have no clue what they are saying.
Look at the UV Index for sunburn. Its strongest during the day, your not getting burned at night right??? Well... do the math.

5- UV treate djigs/lures work both night & day, to depths of about 600' or so, and UV Glow is rerally hot at night, as it emmits its own UV light source, so to say!

There are dealers, lure makers and fishermen who claim UV is no big deal, its a hoax, it does not work. I will go as far as publicly saying that these guys do not know what they are saying, and need to do some real research before making these claims. They are ego maniacs, who try to put people down, only concerned for themselves. So if you know a guy who has told you UV is a scam..... by all means tell him to read my response here.

Becauase there are differen types of UV light, and many products out there, OMT spent years testing them. Some remove the paint from jigs, others are weak and not as effective as some, and some do not jive with certain colors, and are not consistant to be used for products.

Jerry from OMT, has spent a ton of money on this stuff, and time. I cant give up his "secret sauce" for other lure makers to use and thats OK, because most of them say its BS anyway..... so IM sure they dont want to know. To be honest, I know its a mix, but I am not even certain of exactly what is in there. I do know it works better than any other I have tried. I buy it in "un marked" containers.

We do sell it at the shop. We have boith the UV Blast stuff and another one I buy in an unmarked container, so I cant even tell you where to buy it if I wanted to. The UV Blast is ok for the quick trips and it works pretty good, short term.... BUT... it comes off and loses its effectiveness, so its not ideal to make a quality jig or lure with. It will work eniough to prove to you that UV matters though!

We have fished identical jigs side by side.... 1 with UV, 1 without. The average on a decent sday of fishing is about an honest 10-1 or 12-1 ratio. In favor of the UV.

I will go as far as saying that its so effective, that some of the best days we had for tuna, shark and even fluke, happened when the sun was giving off solar storms and there was a high level of solar radiation and UV light penetrating our atmosphere! YES.... I HAVE RESEARCHED THIS THAT MUCH!!!! ( You can laugh all you want, but I think 2014 will be a good year for us with tournaments and such. )

Its all actual facts here, no gimmicks. You can research it yourselves. I have kept notes and have had over 50 different people from all over, helping us test it. Its for real. There is a difference between UVA and UVB. Theres a huge difference between UV GLOW and Regular GLOW.

My biggest reason for the initail push last year was because imports were coming in as UV Products, when they were nothing more than Fluorescent Products. I tried to explain the difference, had a few here in the "fan Club" give me some crap.... so I have been proving my point ever since. Just for the hell of it.
Tom thanks for keeping it short you should post a pic of the box you have set up.

I marched 3/21/2012
No Facebook No Twitter No Text
Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
Tom thanks for keeping it short you should post a pic of the box you have set up.
lol.... I know. Believe it or not.... This was the short version. I can talk for hours on what we have found. Best way to say it is: UV can only help on 99% of the trips. Tiles, fluke, any bottom fish is in water that sunlight does not reach. They use UV light to see. Big tuna too!.

When you grasp the theory and watch it in action..... you wonder how you caught fish before it. Although it explains why certain colors work so well. (Fluorescent colors).
4 years is a lot of time. Lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

.Nice write up. Is the uv glow a glow undercoat topped with uv? I did a couple of jigs with super glow white topped with the uv to try in low light , dirty water situations.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by makokeith View Post
.Nice write up. Is the uv glow a glow undercoat topped with uv? I did a couple of jigs with super glow white topped with the uv to try in low light , dirty water situations.
No... UV Glow is an actual formula that has about 30% Glow for the human eye to see, ( not many buy something they cant see) and 70% UV Glow ( barely visible to humans.

The Jet Strike Lures we sell that are expensive, ( but have won over $150,000 for our customers in last 2 seasons,) contain the true UV Super Glow. That stuff runs on average $230-$250 / pound. That's where the expense comes in. They actually throw UV out, rather than reflect it.

Rich,
here are a few pics.

This Daisy is not too bad. We sell for $45-$49

The UV Box at the shop. You can see where we left out the UV, to show the effects, while noticing soem of the lures have am odd glow to them. These are UV Glow.

UV OMT Flat Side Jigs. NO Fluoresence at all..... ALL UV.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Here is a comparison of True UV Skirts vs Fluorescence ( which some try to push off as UV)

Notice, the UV all show a color, but have that haze over top. The non UV are very vibrant and do not have the haze over them. Now, I know the non UV look better to us... but unless your fishing for a human, you want the more natural look, as in the UV,

UV SKIRTS

UV Skirts

UV Skirts We stock!!

Fluorescent Skirts
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast View Post
No... UV Glow is an actual formula that has about 30% Glow for the human eye to see, ( not many buy something they cant see) and 70% UV Glow ( barely visible to humans.

The Jet Strike Lures we sell that are expensive, ( but have won over $150,000 for our customers in last 2 seasons,) contain the true UV Super Glow. That stuff runs on average $230-$250 / pound. That's where the expense comes in. They actually throw UV out, rather than reflect it.

Rich,
here are a few pics.

This Daisy is not too bad. We sell for $45-$49

The UV Box at the shop. You can see where we left out the UV, to show the effects, while noticing soem of the lures have am odd glow to them. These are UV Glow.

UV OMT Flat Side Jigs. NO Fluoresence at all..... ALL UV.
Very cool stuff. Thanks for the info. I'll stick with the UV blast for now, 250 is way out off my league,,,LOL
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by xperks22 View Post
I got my order of spro style jigheads from Sam the Sinkerman last week. The quality is always superb and the pricing is unbeatable. Thanks again Sam ! I am planning on using them this year for fluke jigging hard bottom. I would much rather lose a jighead with a gulp grub than a bucktail. Has anyone ever fished plain lead jigheads with grubs for fluke ? Did a painted jighead with same grub produce more fish ? Please let me know if anyone has had some firsthand experience with these.
XP, here is something I am going to try this year. This is 8oz jig with the barb/collar cut off and a wire keeper tied and epoxied on the hook. The hook comes right out where I want it too on the gulp grub. On the smaller jigs with smaller hooks I will have to cut a small piece off the grum. You can do this easy enough. If it works for me I will modify my molds to make this change permanent.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador