NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Thoughts and Opinions please - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Thoughts and Opinions please

I have wanted a small CC for a while now and the wife is on board....Im not a big ocean guy and plan to stay more twords the bay and the rivers and decided on about a 20ft -21ft.

I saw something local that was an 90ish cobia pretty bare bones but had a new Yamaha 150 with 2 years left on the warranty. I like the boat, it doesnt really have any bells and wistles but thats less to break honestly. The main thing I would need to put in, is a Bimini top but thats aout $500 for a really nice one. Besides basic supplies and the "needed" that comes with a boat.

The other option is a used boat with more extras....bait well, jump seats, ect..It would be nice, but then your more into engines that are about 10 to 15 years old and do some maintenance or some major work.

budget is 7k to 10k

either way the boat will be checked by a mechanic and surveyed to make sure they are in good shape...that will be another thread.

The first boat would be more twords the lower end of my budget...I mostly fluke but IM sure a little striped blue action would be involved...I would like to work on some weakies with a good buddy in the river as well.

PS I know its not cost effective for the boat, but its nice to have the freedom and add some family time in there.

Last edited by LegalEyes; 04-05-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Thoughts and Opinions please

Check the classified's here saw a few boats listed that were on the higher end of your budget.

Good luck in your search, thats the best part of buying a boat, everything else then costs you $$$$$ haaaaa

Few trusted names you might like in the low 20ft range aside from the higher end (Whalers, Grady, Reg, Edgewater)

Hydra-Sport
Sea-Craft
Mako

Cobia's got a face lift a few years ago and they have become a lot more nice looking, not too sure the hull quality on an older one
pre-takeover but so long as the hull has no stress cracks and wasnt abused I'd concentrate my efforts on the newer power like you have
as that will be the most costly to maintain in the long run.
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF

Last edited by LeftyReeler; 04-05-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Banned

The newer the motor the better. I've had a Honda for 12 years and it's a rock. I hear great things about Yamaha too.
With the economy the way it is it should be buyers market so hopefully you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Apply the KISS principle and it should help. The more fancy gear you have the more broken stuff you gotta deal with.
My buddy has a Maritime Skiff, 20ft with a 115 Yami. Not for sale but in the price range your looking at. Bare bones fishing skiff but it gets the job done at minimal cost. Great in the bay/river and ocean if its not too choppy.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Food for thought. A small cuddy may give some privacy when nature calls. You have to earn a name like "Bobby Brown", so I'm no stranger to the red ring of shame...but your wife might appreciate a bit more couth in that instance.

If you dont think that will be a problem, there are a TON of boats out there. Newer engine with low hours, and they can hook it up to a dyno machine to see how it was run.

Good luck in your search and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the thoughts, and Im just not a cuddy guy for the amount of time I think she will be out, we will work something out. I do like a centel console with an area, but thats been at the top of my budget and beyond.

I would love a whaler but its just not gonna be in my range I dont think, and im trying to figure if this first boat might jsut be the ticket with a new motor (14 hrs) and in the water at about 8k.

Funny how 2k doenst seem that much to upgrade LOL and if 10 then why not 12 or 14...there is a lot out there but also gotta be careful.

I have seen a few others Ill be in contact about and may take a ride down south one day and take a look around a couple of shops and brokers, just not sure they go twords the budget IM working on.

thanks for the words and keep them coming.

Anybody know a good person in NNJ to check out a potential candidate?

Thanks,
H
Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If the boat you mentioned looks ok, I'd move on it. Sounds like the perfect used boat. Older hull with newer motor. You have to remember brokers have to make a profit and on a boat this size it may be in your best interest to buy local. I'll pm you the name of a service guy in the Keyport area. Like everyone else, he'll charge a couple bucks...but might save you some dough long term. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You may want to keep an open mind about the cuddy walkaround as oposed to a center console... The WA offers more storage, places to get out of the weather, and creature comforts your wife will be interested in...i.e. what fin S said! I sent you a PM as well

Last edited by irishc; 04-05-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'm with Bobby.... Yamaha engines are rock solid and having a few more years on the warranty left is a big plus.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Agreed there 100%. Keeping the wife happy keeps your boat in favor. And not a selfish drain on the WHOLE FAMILY.

Don't forget how she'd like watching the fireworks with her friends? And having a cabin to take a leak privately?

The Cuddy/ WA is a very good selection for political reasons. The WA lets that be a sitting/sun bathing spot in the bow away from the guys and their cigars. )

Can you tell I've been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishc
You may want to keep an open mind about the cuddy walkaround as oposed to a center console... The WA offers more storage, places to get out of the weather, and creature comforts your wife will be interested in...i.e. what fin S said! I sent you a PM as well
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 04-30-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Edited due to Typo

Water under the bridge.

Last edited by LegalEyes; 05-22-2012 at 11:48 AM..