NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Striper meat in fridge for 5 days, still ok? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Recipes
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Recipes Use this board to post your favorite recipes

Old 05-11-2011, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Striper meat in fridge for 5 days, still ok?

You can store fish in the refrigerator for several days (I do up to 5) if you do it a certain way. I place the fish in a ziploc bag sealed tight with most of the air out, then place it in a large bowl. Fill the bowl and cover the fish with ice and then a little water. Change the ice as needed. It's almost like keeping it in the freezer without freezing it.

Anyone else have tips on storage?

Jeff
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It sucks because usually I'm so good about keeping it on ice for a day or two and then putting it right into vacuum freezer bags. I'm so pissed at myself that I forgot about this. It was only 2-3 filets (we ate the others the night I got back) but still. Decent size and now I've wasted them.

And it definately does smell worse then when you have them in a bag on ice for a day or so, or even defrost them to cook from a vacuum bag.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

5 days in fridge should be fine. If in doubt, soak in milk, for awhile to refresh the filet. I always keep the skin on a filet to help keep it fresh, because no air can get to the one side. Just ate filet tonight that was from Sat, (thats 5 days) and it was perfect.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Depends on how cold the frig is. Put your nose up to the filet and if it doesn't stink it's good.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i've eaten fish in the fridge up to 5 days just soak it in milk and cook it a lil while longer worst case ya get the sh!ts if ya aint got a Philly stomach

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

If it smells like Cologne leave it aloan!!!! LOL
No seriously as long as it does'nt have the smell of ammonia it will be perfectly fine to eat. Fresh caught fish should be fine if properly cared for for up to 10 days. Almost all of the fresh fish you purchase at the market is at least 5 days old. Enjoy it you have nothing to worry about

Knot A Frade
Joao Fishing Team
&
Fish Posion Fishing Team
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

One Thing To Remember When Dealing With Fish, Many People Misunderstand This.......

if It Smells Like Fish It Is Bad...

Fish Should Smell Like The Ocean, Smell Like Nothing, Or Smell A Little Of Whatever It Might Be Stored In, Fish Should Never Smell Like Fish!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlavine
You can store fish in the refrigerator for several days (I do up to 5) if you do it a certain way. I place the fish in a ziploc bag sealed tight with most of the air out, then place it in a large bowl. Fill the bowl and cover the fish with ice and then a little water. Change the ice as needed. It's almost like keeping it in the freezer without freezing it.

Anyone else have tips on storage?

Jeff

If you put the filets inside of a small zip lock, then put smaller zips into the larger zip lock, then fill the large zip lock with water, stick in the freezer and it forms a ice casing around the filets. although they will get ice cold and basically freeze, you will notice a 100 percent different in taste, texture, and even the look of the fish when it comes out.

used to do this in a giant freezer after tuna fishing, you can even use vacuum bags if you have a machine!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sportfishing, like I said, they had a similar smell that filets have when you pull them out of the bag from a boat trip but stronger. I soaked them in a quick salt water bath and the smell pretty much disappeared. What do you think?

Last edited by ChaosStarter; 05-11-2011 at 11:49 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If the fridge was cold enough, you should be fine.

You see, as fishermen, we're so spoiled with the freshest fish meat, we forget that the fish ordinary people buy from typical supermarkets are probably older than 5 days since it was killed/processed.
Cook it throughly just to make sure though.