NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Slow Blackfishing This Spring - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Slow Blackfishing This Spring

I have tagged just over 1400 tautog for VMRC/VIMS since 2018 on a number of wrecks off Chincoteague Virginia and around the bridges in Chincoteague Bay and have had 315 tag returns. What I have learned is that the Tog I have tagged 99.5% have been recaught at the same wreck or bridge and the average growth rate is between 1"-1.5" per year. When I moved down here 9 years ago Tog did not receive that much fishing pressure but in the last few years it has been another story since it seems every serious fisherman now has a trolling motor with spot lock.
Old 05-04-2024, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

And that as they say is all she wrote regarding the fate of yet another fishery. Interesting post in that it quantifies what people have said. Blackfish are territorial fish with predictable migratory patterns and slow growing. They simply won't be able to survive the pressure the stock has on them today without substantial changes to the regulations in how the stock is being managed to address the attributes as stated of the fishery.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 05-04-2024 at 02:25 PM..
Old 05-04-2024, 01:56 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFISH View Post
I have tagged just over 1400 tautog for VMRC/VIMS since 2018 on a number of wrecks off Chincoteague Virginia and around the bridges in Chincoteague Bay and have had 315 tag returns. What I have learned is that the Tog I have tagged 99.5% have been recaught at the same wreck or bridge and the average growth rate is between 1"-1.5" per year. When I moved down here 9 years ago Tog did not receive that much fishing pressure but in the last few years it has been another story since it seems every serious fisherman now has a trolling motor with spot lock.
Thanks for that and so what I heard about them returning to the same exact piece of structure is correct. I hear you on the increased fishing pressure, they seem to be the new vanity fish.... Spoke to a few people up in RI, which seems to be the epicenter for good tog fishing now. 10 years ago no one used to fish for them up there and were thought to be a trash fish but that is changing now too.

Hope our marine scientists stay on top of this but sadly, it seems whatever species they manage they screw up even worse.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 05-04-2024 at 02:05 PM..
Old 05-04-2024, 05:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

https://conservefish.org/2017/11/13/...street-tautog/
Old 05-05-2024, 05:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Now people think nothing at all of blowing $100 or more on a skimpy meal of thinly sliced raw fish, totaling only a few ounces of actual fish flesh, along with some skinny fancy sliced vegetable fragments, and a bowl of soy sauce.,
That describes my Friday nite to a T. I guess I’m part of the problem

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-05-2024, 11:57 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
That describes my Friday nite to a T. I guess I’m part of the problem
yeah, that sort of thing is not my bag, I want big mounds of steaming hot well cooked food with some left over to take home if/when I go out to dinner.. I respect everyone's right to eat what they want when they want it, but its my opinion that the worldwide craze[especially in the orient] of eating sushi/sashimi as a quasi religious experience is what has decimated the stocks of fish that had little or no commercial value historically, Atlantic Mackeral/large Bluefin Tuna, were basically useless until people wanted to eat them raw.. Eels were popular, but were limited to a few regional/ethnic markets in the states around the holidays, and outside of a limited smoked eel market, were left alone.. Then the japanese discovered Unagi Kabayaki[look it up], as did sushi addicts all over the world, and that was the end of eels being readily available everywhere.. Elvers are now worth more than their weight in gold.

Blackfish?... In my day very few knew about them, and even fewer fished for them.. Believe it or not a LOT more people ate Blues than ate Tog back then... Then once again, people found they liked them raw, and all of a sudden a big market sprung up for them in urban markets especially in large northeastern cities in the US.. Live fish markets , supplied by local "fishermen" looking for a quick buck, are still selling them, and pay big money.. I am not privvy to everything that goes on in the NY Bight these days, but even years ago when I still lived in NJ, "pinhookers" were a problem, catching and selling fish to help pay for their boats/slips/gas/bait/tackle... I bet they are still out there, operating illegally with little interference ... Its just a bad situation, but I think before long "big brother" steps in and just closes all Tog fishing down, they way canada did with Cod.. I do not welcome that day, I want nothing to do with heavy handed government regulation. However, it seems human beings have very little self control, and NO self regulation.. We just take and take until there's nothing left to take.. We tend to bring restrictions down on our own heads, due to greed.... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 05-05-2024 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-05-2024, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Steaming hot well cooked? Steak, tuna , pork chops ? Ugh that’s like eating leather

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-05-2024, 03:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Steaming hot well cooked? Steak, tuna , pork chops ? Ugh that’s like eating leather
Yeah, no parasites with thoroughly cooked food.. Enjoy your raw fish and bloody animal flesh.. Its not me personally, I like food thats cooked well, ... I used to love raw clams, but these days, you couldn't pay me enough to eat even a single one... Raw fish?/.. Yeah not me, thanks... bob
Old 05-05-2024, 03:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

To each his own. I couldn’t imagine eating venison or bear well done. Trichinosis Be damned

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-05-2024, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
To each his own. I couldn’t imagine eating venison or bear well done. Trichinosis Be damned
Bear????... man that can't possibly be good....