NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bass fishing near Westfield/Clark, Union County - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-07-2023, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Bass fishing near Westfield/Clark, Union County

Hi all,

I grew up in Linden in the 90s and fished some spots as kid. I have recently came back to Union County (Westfield/Clark/Garwood area). I have searched the forums here, and some Facebook town groups, for fishing in the area, but I didn't find anything too recent. What I captured is targeting Bloodgoods pond, Jacksons pond, and Lenape pond.

I'm not looking for anyone to give up any secret spots, but if you can help point me in the right direction, or conversely suggest where nearby to not fish, it would greatly be appreciated as I get back into the sport.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2023, 02:13 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Bass fishing near Westfield/Clark, Union County

Just an update on how I made out tonight.

6:30-8:30. Hot but flat water.

I started out Bloodgoods Pond. First time here; I found the public parking/kayak launch near the damn. Looked promising. Not too shallow, some movement. Unfortunately nothing. Fished all my lures, had a pole out with a bobber and worm that got nibbled by sunnies, and had a pole on the bottom. Saw some folks fishing the bottom of the damn. Not sure how to get to the other side.

Went to Jacksons Pond next. Found the parking lot. No one was fishing, which concerned me. Too shallow. Didn’t spend long here. Other side of the pond was residential and appeared inaccessible.

Ended the evening at Milton Lake Park. I remember fishing different parts of greater Milton area as a kid; but where I was didn’t look familiar. The parking lot I found lended itself to one large spot before the damn. Looked promising; high vantage point to fish a lot of area. Threw my whole tackle box at it for an hour until it was dark, no luck. Got the feeling this particular spot has to be overfished based on its convenience.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:03 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The convenient spots are always the hardest hit. When I'm not rolling solo, sometimes that's the only way to get a buddy out there is to promise that convenience. They won't make it to a honeyhole. I don't fish that area too often at all, but looks like some promising spots on the map. Worms are always good wether u float, sink, or weight & swim them. Corn's always a good option too for all sizes of fish. If the nibbles keep happening, just downgrade sizes of hooks and bait, that should help hook something that's messing with you.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You might want to try the South Branch of the Robinson . Wade the shallow spots and fish the deeper holes . You'd be surprised at what comes out of some of the deeper holes ! Good luck .
Old 07-08-2023, 10:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I grew up in Rahway. Fished the Rahway river, Robinson’s branch, Rahway park and clark reservoir religiously as a kid. Start below Clark resevoir at Madison hill road and work your way down to the falls at Milton lake. And then follow Robinson’s branch on all the way to downtown Rahway. Crappie, bass, carp and catfish are your main players. Start below bloodsgood and fish Rahway river down to jackson pond. Then fish the river below jackson pond through the park and continue to the confluence of the Robinson’s branch and Rahway river in downtown rahway at wheatena park. There are some big carp in the Rahway park section and wheatena park. As you go further into the tidal section of the Rahway river small stripers come up to the Lawrence street bridge by the Dairy Queen there and around back around the incinerator and Rahway yacht club area if you can get a kayak in somewhere. We use to catch white perch in the river behind the Rahway park lake in the spring right before the St George avenue bridge. White grubs, culprits, and sluggos were my main lures growing up. Caught some big bass in Clark resevoir if you can find access anywhere. I spent most of my days on a bike with my buddies fishing those stretches. I’m 37 so this was a while ago, and I don’t know how much the river has changed. Some big nostalgia writing this lol good luck 👍