NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Take the Trout Survey Part 2! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-21-2023, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Take the Trout Survey Part 2!

Link to the official page:

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/news-2023-07...survey-part-2/

Link to the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7YQ72...ce=govdelivery

New Jersey DEP Fish and Wildlife is conducting a series of short online surveys to obtain angler feedback concerning our Trout Stocking Program throughout the state. In particular, the opinions of anglers who fish on trout-stocked waterbodies during the stocking season is sought. The information collected will be used to inform future stocking, management, and regulation decisions.

Part 2 of the trout stocking survey is now available. We ask that you take the time to continue with your input.

see official page link in case you missed part 1

-

This one focuses on the 3-week pre season closure and offers concerns and ideas on opening those 3 weeks to catch and release.

I sided on keeping the traditional closure but there's some good concerns for opening the 3 weeks to CnR.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Take the Trout Survey Part 2!

Just took the survey, I'm in favor of having a C&R season ahead of opening day, simply to be able to fish for other species in trout-stocked waters.

Also, what do you think of my pie-in-the-sky suggestion to incorporate ATLANTIC SALMON into the stocking schedule?
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 07-21-2023, 01:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I like the CR period ,
Spreads out the fish and the fisherman .

Should be artificial only though , then thoughts of gut hooked fish are eliminated.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 07-21-2023, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty View Post
Just took the survey, I'm in favor of having a C&R season ahead of opening day, simply to be able to fish for other species in trout-stocked waters.

Also, what do you think of my pie-in-the-sky suggestion to incorporate ATLANTIC SALMON into the stocking schedule?
Yea some years back I was a bit frustrated with the closings when I just wanted to target spring SMB. Theres still other options around for river SMB (lower raritan where it isnt stocked) but still theres a lot of water blocked by that closure.

I think they should introduce the Covid-era CnR opening , with artificial only, again and see how it goes.

-
I would love to see salmon stocked in the rivers. Supposedly some cool stocked salmon fisheries in new England states, like CT? Im unsure how much the state has to toss around though, it seems they want to supplement the lakes/reservoirs more as the fishery is growing there successfully. Still, throw in some unicorns like a few fish like into the South Branch and see what happens idk
Old 07-22-2023, 08:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Take the Trout Survey Part 2!

Not a big fan of early C&R, too many people don't abide by the rules (keep everything) or are using Power Cheese on treble hooks.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Overall I think they do a pretty good job .
Would like to see a youth trout day before the regular season .
Would love to see Atlantic Salmon stocking increased but not sure if they have the numbers .
Old 07-22-2023, 11:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Take the Trout Survey Part 2!

In Pa. the closed weeks prior to opening day children are allowed to fish accompanied by an adult, lots of fish and no pressure. NJ is so behind the times it's pathetic.
Old 07-24-2023, 09:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Not a big fan of early C&R, too many people don't abide by the rules (keep everything) or are using Power Cheese on treble hooks.
I'm 100% a fan of an additional 3 week C&R season but100% opposed to it because of what you state above. I voted NO. People are scumbags and won't follow it so it's easier to patrol if it's 100% no vs. giving folks the benefit of the doubt and trusting them to do the right thing. Hell people bragged on here and other social media outlets about how cool they were keeping trout early and how dumb the rule following others were.

If they really want to do something take out the closure period (and opening day) start stocking in mid-March every two weeks until mid-May. No worries about patrolling the Opening Day circus or a C&R season. No closures to interfere with fishing for other species. Plenty of states have no closed season.

Slingin' Cane

Purveyor of the dark art of the fly rod

Last edited by Drossi; 07-24-2023 at 09:19 AM..
Old 07-31-2023, 11:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I am opposed to the C&R period. People do not abide by the laws and there are not enough C.O. 's to patrol. I live close to the Pequest and 3 times this past season I told people to stop fishing om Fridays before 5:00. Of course they claimed not to know, I than explained hat they should read the regulation book
I always took a picture of their license plate.