NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Strange Things You've Seen on the Water - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Strange Things You've Seen on the Water

Bob same thing happened to me in a small center console whaler with my son and friend on board. We got too close to the buoy markers, weren't inside, and out of nowhere three military personnel were on us in their zodiac with a bow mounted M-16 pointed right at us. I asked the guy if he'd mind pointing it in a different direction before there was an accidental discharge and his response was I'll move it once you immediately vacate the area to your port which if you don't know is your left. I understand they have a job to do but the entire situation could have been handled with a bit more diplomacy.

At the same time, I guess when you consider it from their point of view there are a lot of people in the bay that have absolutely no idea where they're going and they probably deal with boaters crossing the boundary line all day long. And the risk is real with no margin of error. So from that standpoint, lesson learned.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

With the location of my marina I pass the security zone 3-4-5 times a week during the season. My plotter is set to run me just past the white buoys to give me the shortest run to the Hook.

I’ve dealt with the guys multiple times. Never once rude or condescending or unprofessional in any way. Intimidating ? Yeah maybe but good guys nonetheless.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 03-27-2024, 07:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
1.) Night bluefishing years ago watching the mates run up to the bow and pull the anchor very quickly only to see a huge cruise ship pass just in front of us minutes later.

2.) Night canyon watching a commercial boat retie the anchor of the Jamaica and push it off the back of their deck

3.) Waterspouts on the Great Lakes.

4.) Watching a huge Mako shark eat a hooked tuna.

5.) Seeing a huge Make shark jump out of the water at night, almost as high as the Gamble wheelhouse.
Capt. Mike, Jimmy B, and I took the old Gambler down to the Spencer Canyon on an overnighter. A customer hooked a mystery shark in the port corner. We went around the corner and halfway up the starboard side when the shadow turned towards us and charged the boat! The shark was a huge Mako that jumped , hit the rail on the way down and almost came in the boat!!! Jimmy pushed the customer and me out of the way. The customer managed to hold on to the rod as we got back on our feet. The shark took off on a blistering run under the boat as we struggled to make it to the bow. That Mako jumped on the other side and finally broke off. The friction from the line on the bottom of the boat left paint embedded in the 80lb line. That was one time that we were glad that we lost it.

Last edited by Ol Pedro; 04-03-2024 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Auto spell sucks!
Old 04-02-2024, 09:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

not sure if i am insulted or happy I was not mentioned at all

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 04-02-2024, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Was trolling in the caribbean years ago and hooked a barracuda. Took it in and while boatside in the water another bigger (huge) cuda shot up from the deep like a missle and in one bite chopped the hooked fish right in half. It hung out next to the boat, agitated, as if it was waiting for it's next victim. Startling how badass those cudas are!

2014 Sea Hunt Triton 210 CC

Club CRE Member: Catch, Release, Exaggerate

The difference between genius and stupidity?
Genius has it's limits.

TYMADRIP
Old 04-02-2024, 10:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Mid 70's out on our yearly bluefishing to barnaget ridge with capt newt out of barnget. Doing our usual chumming with those 5 gallon gold buckets. Watching newt clean every spec of chum from each bucket and then those it overboard. Asked him why he tossed it and said they did not want them back. Well as the bucket drifted away before sinking a huge fin was circling the bucket. Just watched with wide eyes and our boat was a wooden boat with a converted tank engine similuar to the one in jaws. Will always remember that fin.