NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Avet service - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-27-2014, 05:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Avet service

I just got two reels back from Avet. Sent them out there on 3/17 just got them back today. Man they are smooth as silk again. Very pleased with the turn around!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Avet service

Same here, sent 2 in before the holidays and thought it would be awhile, got them back in 2 weeks, not bad from California.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Rumor has it that Avet has upgraded their bearings, specifically the pinion bearing which is most prone to failure if the drag gets over tightened. If it's true, I hope you guys got the upgrade.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Dropped mine off at the Jersey Hooker and had them back in a week with no shipping charges.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I just purchased a bunch of different bearings from ebay, gonna see how they hold up compared to the Avet bearings. 3bucks each shipped is pretty good. All you need to know is the size of the bearing. They seem to be made very similar to Boca and Smoothdrag bearings.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Did a little research on the pinion bearing in the Avet reels, followed some posts on Alan Tani's website as well. Seems like the fix for the lateral load in the Avet reels against the pinion bearing can be cured by installing a radial load bearing. They have a conical shaped race similar to an automotive wheel bearing and can withstand greater side load than the stock Avet bearing. Only problem is, a Boca radial bearing the same size as in the Avet SX, MXL, etc. is $129.00 for a single bearing. I'd rather keep a bunch of cheapo Avet bearings in my tool box and change when needed before I'd spend that much on a bearing.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

how much fishing do you guys do that you need to service these things? I got a blue sx from about 8 years ago, just repleaced ONE bearing for the first time ever, never even greased the thing, caught tons of fish, have had drop locked down to easy, never a problem.. I can not even tell you the last time i had one services, for 149.00 bucks, just use them and do not hose them down and you will be fine.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I service mine once a year and have only wiped out one bearing to date. The radial bearing would give you more drag than the stock Avet which is what most people dislike about these reels when compared to higher end reels.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul Hook View Post
I just got two reels back from Avet. Sent them out there on 3/17 just got them back today. Man they are smooth as silk again. Very pleased with the turn around!
I hope it makes you a better fisherman.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Vin the older ones were def better then the more recent ones. Recent models turn into a meat grinder within a season or two if not serviced properly. But out of the dozens of Avets I've serviced, I've had very good luck cleaning and regreasing the bearings vs just changing them out. I think I've only had to change maybe a half dozen.