NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Nantucket fluke advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-15-2020, 09:12 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Nantucket fluke advice

I’m heading up to Hyannis this weekend for an ultra limited trip on the Helen H fleet ,I’ve never done this before , my experience with fluke Is bucktails,and I’m looking for advice on what to bring.
My options are
Black hole 701 L with shimano trranx 300 possible switch rod out fo a g loomis pro blue 12-25
Black hole 731m with a shimano trinidad 12A
Any input would be appreciated
Old 07-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Nantucket fluke advice

You'll need to be fishing the 731M most of the time. They fish deep and the drift is fast so you'll usually need anywhere from 8 to 12 ounce sinkers to hold bottom. They use Chicken Rigs... Heavy sinker on the bottom and 2 small bucktails, high/low rigged.

When the tide slacks and or the conditions are right, you could use the 701 and lighter weight bucktail but the least you'll likely be fishing is 4 ounces.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 07-16-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Old 07-16-2020, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks Gerry
Old 07-16-2020, 06:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Bring the heavy stuff. I've been doing HH for 5 years now and never used less than 16 oz
Old 07-17-2020, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I was on the Helen H over the July 4th weekend. I have a Black Hole 701L and a 731m that I left at home even though the 731m is my favorite of all of my saltwater rods. I fished both days with only a Lamiglas TFX 7040, which is a beast.
The first day the mate suggested that we start with 16 oz. That lasted about two minutes for me and I switched to 20 oz for the remainder of both days except for a short period when I went to 24. Keep in mind that this was on a full moon July 4 and the current was screaming. There were times that 24 oz would not come close to holding but that was the biggest I brought.

One of the fellow fishermen said that he has been on the Helen H for 15 years said that was the worst fishing he ever experienced in 15 years. I went with two friends, one of whom was skunked the first day on fluke and got 1 keeper the second day but got some good sea bass, particularly the first day when we had a drop and reel time. The east wind might have been responsible.