NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Good Read- Field and Stream Article on UV Tackle - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Good Read- Field and Stream Article on UV Tackle

Here's a good article discussing the recent "explosion" of the use of UV paint. I recall seeing it as a kid up north using lures for Musky, salmon and trout. Been around for quite some time now and making a big expansion and really catching on with tackle makers of late....

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...groovy-gimmick
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Good Read- Field and Stream Article on UV Tackle

Good article.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yet..... people say I am full of sh*t with my UV posts. Been testing it for last 4 years with another jig maker.

When a tuna hits a pink 32 oz jig, 500 feet deep, with no glow in it.... only Ultra Violet Finish..... you cant argue with it.

This tuna took a pink 32 ounce jig we sell in 500 feet of water. The fish was about 15-20 feet off the bottom. Pink is one fothe very first colors to fade away in water, behind red. "Something" made it show up that deep.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyCoast View Post
Yet..... people say I am full of sh*t with my UV posts. Been testing it for last 4 years with another jig maker.

When a tuna hits a pink 32 oz jig, 500 feet deep, with no glow in it.... only Ultra Violet Finish..... you cant argue with it.

This tuna took a pink 32 ounce jig we sell in 500 feet of water. The fish was about 15-20 feet off the bottom. Pink is one fothe very first colors to fade away in water, behind red. "Something" made it show up that deep.

When it comes to new things, such as UV paint ( not truly new in the sense of things as it has been around for almost as long as me..... but newer to most) I believe most are skeptical until they can see it proven to work or perform the way people say it does. Too many "latest and greatest" items come and go with disappointment for those who bought in. I have had the fortunate situation to use lures with UV paint when I was younger and understand how this truly does perform. One of the National brand lure makers was one of the originators using this material years ago on their blades for the trout/salmon and then evolved into the musky/walleye lures up north. Now the paint is more readily available to the public and technology allows for different and better applications but as the article says, some still see it as a gimmick to sell products. No doubt it works, would be great to see a video from the deep depths to illustrate the effectiveness and ability to attract....
IGFA Member
Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkyispy View Post
When it comes to new things, such as UV paint ( not truly new in the sense of things as it has been around for almost as long as me..... but newer to most) I believe most are skeptical until they can see it proven to work or perform the way people say it does. Too many "latest and greatest" items come and go with disappointment for those who bought in. I have had the fortunate situation to use lures with UV paint when I was younger and understand how this truly does perform. One of the National brand lure makers was one of the originators using this material years ago on their blades for the trout/salmon and then evolved into the musky/walleye lures up north. Now the paint is more readily available to the public and technology allows for different and better applications but as the article says, some still see it as a gimmick to sell products. No doubt it works, would be great to see a video from the deep depths to illustrate the effectiveness and ability to attract....

Mike... don't take this the wrong way. But why haven't you or any other jig maker Been using it if everybody has " known " about it? Yes.... it's been around in freshwater fir a long time. But the truth is.... on the Saltwater side, with the exception of Peter Pakula , nobody has done any real work with it until just last year. And the factories overseas are pushing off fluorescence as ultra violet. I started to correct this mistake last summer. All of those posts are on the forums with the dates they were created.

I have had my balls busted, called a fraud, accused of just wanting to sell my products and I just shake my head at it all. I can name 5 makers who are using fluorescence as UV claims to market their stuff.
No... you are not one of them. And I'm not talking to you directly with my response.

No its not new to fishing. But recently too many companies are misrepresenting it to the public. There is a huge difference between UV and glow, or uv and fluorescence. Only one way to tell and that's under a black light. I have had a box sitting on my counter since last year fir guys to bring their old lures in and see if they are UV or not. Turns out 95% of their best catching lures are in fact UV treated by default.

I have been labeled the UV police on several forums because I am just trying to explain it and help fishermen understand it. Now.. All of a sudden everybody has known and been using it? Maybe.... but the lures I have from everybody are not UV. I always try to cover my ass and make sure I don't get caught up in bs. I have them from last year, year before... Nobody has been using it until this winter. Wonder why.... ???? It's been around for decades.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hmmm, I thought I was giving you credit..I haven't ventured into using it yet for some of the very reasons you outline (true product development), only referencing seeing it's results from years back in freshwater fishing. The article outlines why people are skeptical to use it. I was trying to reinforce it's benefit. The fact that it recently has expanded into saltwater applications and is now more readily available is a great thing. I have stuck to my core business to establish that first. Glad to see it's existence here now and may eventually add as an offering once I have the time to work with it...You're the "pioneer", hopefully others will warm up to it's use and effectiveness that you have worked to convey.
IGFA Member
Old 03-21-2014, 08:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkyispy View Post
Hmmm, I thought I was giving you credit..I haven't ventured into using it yet for some of the very reasons you outline (true product development), only referencing seeing it's results from years back in freshwater fishing. The article outlines why people are skeptical to use it. I was trying to reinforce it's benefit. The fact that it recently has expanded into saltwater applications and is now more readily available is a great thing. I have stuck to my core business to establish that first. Glad to see it's existence here now and may eventually add as an offering once I have the time to work with it...You're the "pioneer", hopefully others will warm up to it's use and effectiveness that you have worked to convey.
Mike,
I really did not mean any of it to be directed at you. I know it can be taken that way..... but it was directed at the guys who gave me a hard time, and are now jumping on the wagon, and still not using UV the right way.

I had guys saying it does not work. Now, they are making their jigs with it. Problem is.... they are using glow & fluorescence and calling it UV. This was my reason for the original posts. Too many makers are making this mistake.

I never meant it to be directed at you. I sure as hell am not the "pioneer" of this stuff. I have only been trying to educate fishermen on the topic and what it is.... so they are not fooled or get a bad taste from UV that may not be actual UV when it does not work. Mostly for the imported products from overseas that are labeled wrong.

I did not pioneer this stuff.... I wish I did. And I am not attacking you either here.... the guys who came after me know who they are... and they are still using the term UV wrong. ( go figure) .