NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Blackfish Set Ups - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 11-30-2023, 10:31 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Blackfish Set Ups

This time of year we get a lot of questions about the best rod and reel set ups for Blackfish so here we go...

First and foremost you'll need 2 set ups if you plan to jig and rig fish. Each day is different and it's pretty typical that one method does better than the other unless it's a rare day when the fish are really aggressive and will hit practically anything. Those days for the most part are far and few between so be prepared for either.

Let's start with a jigging set up...

The right set up is very critical here so if you plan to make an investment, I would invest more in the jigging set up then I would a rig set up. Here its more about the arrow then the Indian. The wrong rod and reel even in the right hands put you at a huge disadvantage. Your set up here needs to be something very lightweight, yet powerful and sensitive for 2 reasons. 1 you need to be sure you can feel the lightweight jig making contact with the bottom and 2 you need to feel the bites which are usually a lot more subtle than fishing a rig with a heavy sinker. While some use a conventional reel, I prefer a spinning reel for jigging since it's a bit easier for me to manage the line and or cast around with lighter weights. As far as the rod, composite rods are the way to go since they weigh a lot less for equal power and are much more sensitive. You'll be fishing with 20 pound braid here for 2 reasons. 1 the smaller diameter of the braid compared to mono allows it to cut through the water better so you are less susceptible to the current putting a big bow in your line and you want to fish tight to the jig. 2 it's much more sensitive allowing you to feel bottom contact and the bites better.

Here are some suggestions for spin jigging rods and reels both budget and higher end that I've either fished with or know others that do

Budget Rods
- Jigging World Nexus 701
- Tsunami Slim Wave 701 MH

High End Rods
- Black Hole 701L or 731M
- Jigging World Night Ranger or Black Demon

Budget Reels
- Daiwa BG 3000

High End Reels
- Shimano Stradic or Twin Power 4000
- Daiwa Balistic 3000

OK lets switch over to rig fishing rods and reels. Unlike jig fishing, you're going to be fishing 8 - 10 ounce sinkers most of the time and you'll be waiting to feel a thump bite/tug, not a tick. For this reason the gear here is not as critical but you do want a beefier rod and tip that can handle that weight and a conventional reel. You'll be fishing 50 - 65 pound braid. This fishing is more about the Indian then it is the arrow. I've seen guys who really know what they're doing fishing 50 pound mono on a heavy pole and a Penn Squidder out fish everyone on the boat fishing high end setups. Don't get me wrong, all things being equal a better set up will make a difference but not as much as it does with a jigging set up.

Budget Rods
- Jigging World Nexus
- Tsunami Carbon Shield 701H

High End Rods
- Blackhole 731M
- Jigging World Night Ranger

Budget Reels
- Almost anything will do here but should have at least 12 - 15 pounds of drag and not too heavy or bulky since you'll be working the rod all day

High End Reels
- Daiwa Saltiga
- Shimano Torium
- Daiwa Lexa 300HD low profile
- Penn Fathom 200 low profile
- Avet SX or SXJ lever drag

Having said all the above if I were to only buy one off the shelf rod and reel to try and jig or rig, it would be the Blackhole 731M conventional and a low profile bait casting reel, either the Daiwa Lexa 330HD or Penn Fathom 200.

If you're really into it and want to treat yourself, go see Mark Berry or Mike Garone and have them build you a custom rod. I fish a spiral wrapped Mark Berry rod and it's my one of my favorites and have several friends that fish Garones and swear by them.

Feel free to pile on here and let us know what your favorites are...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area