NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

looking for shore fishing spots in Northern NJ - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: looking for shore fishing spots in Northern NJ

Aaahhh, I remember when the exploration in finding spots was just part of fishing.

Without bringing more people to these spots already mentioned, I'd say jump on Google maps or Earth to find the GOOD spots you won't hear about. The best public largemouth fishery has never even been mentioned on any of these threads.. for a reason.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Member

If I were to fish Round Valley, where would I park and fish? Would I park by the recreation/swimming area and then hike towards and fish off the impoundment dike or would I be better off parking in the boat launch area? Or is there another option I should consider? Is the shore fishing worthwhile here or anywear around the reservoir? I just want to make sure my boys have a chance of getting into a few bass.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox Luciano View Post
Aaahhh, I remember when the exploration in finding spots was just part of fishing.

Without bringing more people to these spots already mentioned, I'd say jump on Google maps or Earth to find the GOOD spots you won't hear about. The best public largemouth fishery has never even been mentioned on any of these threads.. for a reason.
I do my fair share of exploring and homework when it comes to trout fishing but bass fishing adds another dimension because without a boat your options become quite limited. I've never given out a spot that someone PM'd me and I visit suggested places very infrequently due to my limited amount of free time.... so if you can help out with a PM, I would be very much obliged. If not, then thanks for chiming in anyway!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Round Valley your best bet is parking in boat ramp area and fishing off/near the causeway. With the water so low right now you can walk a great deal of shore line too.

From the causeway you can fish the smaller/swimming lake which is the better bet for getting a quality bass but it will be slow action and depending what time of day most likely to yield nothing.

The big lake more likely to get some better action but smaller fish. If you use plastic worms the rockbass will get your hopes up on most casts with their constant tugging. Weightless plastic worms work best.

I'd suggest not fishing from the dirt ramp side of the boat ramp area. Water is only 10 ft deep right now in casting range and the boat traffic and weekend frolicking will have any fish still bold enough to swim over there thoroughly spooked.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by njitgrad View Post
I've fished for trout in the Ramapo River in the reserveration but never the adjacent Scarlet Oak Pond. May give it a shot.

So access to Ramapo Lake is a 20-minute hike? Is it well marked from the parking lot down to the lake?
It is a very well marked and obvious trail to Ramapo Lake. Follow the blue blazes from the lower Skyline Drive parking (Known on maps as MacEvoy Trail).
Old 06-21-2016, 04:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Looks like a pretty big lake. Any particular place you would suggest to fish? I would scout it ahead of time but it's about an hour away from home.
Only one side of the lake is walkable as the other is pretty much all private homesites.
The rowboat rental place is closed permanently if I remember right.
I just got back from the walking path along North side of Cranberry, as I'm recovering from some surgery and walking is good.
I'm 10 mins from there.
I've let my freshwater license lapse, as I fish primarily the salt the last number of years. I used to run my 14'
aluminum all over Sussex county lakes, power as well as electric. Have also walked a number of them over the years.

PM me for my phone # and I'll share what info I can recall.
Tight lines.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I've always wanted to try Round Valley Reservoir. Where would I access it for shore fishing and how would you rate the shore fishing experience there?
You can access Round Valley from nearly anywhere if you are willing to walk. The areas around the camping launch and the main boat launch are easy to get to. Generally better trout fishing from shore in spring and fall than LMB fishing.
The lake drops off fast and you can be fishing in 20+ feet of water with your casts. It's a difficult lake to fish unless you know it. Not a place to bring kids with the idea of a guaranteed catch (outside trout in cold water season).
Old 06-21-2016, 04:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishonthelake View Post
Scarlet Oak Pond in the Ramapo Reservation has very decent shore access and about the best bass fishing you'll find for public, heavy-pressured waters in northern NJ. I've caught some big fish out of there.

I would just go as early as possible as the park gets busy (mostly with walkers and hikers) in the later morning. There are two other lakes in the reservation...one is a short hike up the trail (Bear Pond or something). You can see where they are on the map of the park in the parking lot. Never been to the third.

Also, Ramapo Lake on Skyline Dr. is an awesome place to fish. More pickerel than bass, but there are some nice bass. It's about a 20-minute hike up to the lake from the parking area, but then there is a trail that goes around the hole lake with lots of shore access along the way. Some very cool spots to hang out and fish. Very pretty up there. Once again, the earlier the better as it gets busy with hikers and bikers.
A easy, but uphill 20 minute hike in Ramapo Valley Reservation past Scarlet Oak Pond will bring you to McMillan Reservoir. Not a bad bass fishing location and plentiful shore access. A longer hike, probably about an hour, will bring you to Bear Swamp Lake which has excellent bass and pickerel fishing and lots of shore access. Check out the NYNJTC maps for the hiking routes. http://www.nynjtc.org/product/north-jersey-trails
Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
From the causeway you can fish the smaller/swimming lake which is the better bet for getting a quality bass but it will be slow action and depending what time of day most likely to yield nothing.
I intend to fish late afternoon to closing time hoping to get some late day action.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I intend to fish late afternoon to closing time hoping to get some late day action.
Boat ramp area is open 24 hours so be sure to bring a flashlight!

I've had some luck late in the day even on scorching temperature days. Good luck on what option you choose, a lot of good advice on this thread on multiple spots.