NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Greenwood Lake Launches: 10 Million Lake Bill Passes NJ State Senate - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-08-2021, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Greenwood Lake Launches: 10 Million Lake Bill Passes NJ State Senate

Good Morning,

Hope everyone is well. In yesterday's Record (pg. 4L of Local Section) and Newton Times it was revealed that the Lake Bill we alluded to in previous posts passed unanimously in the Senate 36-0. It now goes to the Assembly....if it passes...it will then land on Gov. Murphy's Desk. The Greenwood Lake Commission would get $750,000/year for 10 years to enhance water quality "help protect lakes" and provide recreational opportunities/access to the lake.

A ramp will NOT cost $750,000.......the commission was hesitant to even discuss how this money would be spent if they got it. For those of you in the Lake Hopatcong area....this applies to you also.....Lake Hopatcong will also be granted $750,000/year if the Lake Bill is passed.

So, at present, looking pretty good in terms of the financing of Public Launches on Greenwood.

Keep you all posted

UFANJ
Old 06-08-2021, 12:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Greenwood Lake Launches: 10 Million Lake Bill Passes NJ State Senate

Excellent.. I hope your efforts are rewarded.

The NYS DEC has no published information on Greewood Lake, yet has detailed fishing for every lake .stream, river and even tiny 5 acre ponds within the state.. Basically, they say GL, is 7 miles long and is private, and private marinas are the only access to the lake. Is that correct?.. That entire big lake is ALL in private hands???.. To me thats absolutely criminal. bob
Old 06-08-2021, 02:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Greenwood Lake Launches: 10 Million Lake Bill Passes NJ State Senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Excellent.. I hope your efforts are rewarded.

The NYS DEC has no published information on Greewood Lake, yet has detailed fishing for every lake .stream, river and even tiny 5 acre ponds within the state.. Basically, they say GL, is 7 miles long and is private, and private marinas are the only access to the lake. Is that correct?.. That entire big lake is ALL in private hands???.. To me thats absolutely criminal. bob

The lake is a PUBLIC WATERBODY......with private landownership. It is stocked with fishing license fees derived from NY State and the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife. If you look in the NJ Fish Code it clearly states, "Fishing Permitted 24 hours".......at this point this only alludes to those that live on the lake (private homeowners) and those customers of the marinas paying for slip space. You are correct.....all 1950 acres are in private hands.

Last edited by muskynut; 06-08-2021 at 02:51 PM..
Old 06-08-2021, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Greenwood Lake Launches: 10 Million Lake Bill Passes NJ State Senate

Alright alright, sounds like great things are happening. Awesome news Cap’n and thank you for your effort on this important matter. We definitely need some help on this. Looks like things are in our favor for a change. Hell Yessss!
Old 06-08-2021, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskynut View Post
The lake is a PUBLIC WATERBODY......with private landownership. It is stocked with fishing license fees derived from NY State and the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife. If you look in the NJ Fish Code it clearly states, "Fishing Permitted 24 hours".......at this point this only alludes to those that live on the lake (private homeowners) and those customers of the marinas paying for slip space. You are correct.....all 1950 acres are in private hands.
So let me get this straight,, Let me know if i miss something..
I live in NY.. My license fees/taxes/whatever help to put fish in Greenwood.
So i want to go down there with my grandson, and catch a few perch ,sunnies, maybe a white perch, rock bass or bullhead or two with worms and bobbers, and there is not a few square feet of land on that entire lake we can fish on?

If I trailer my boat which is registered in NY, I am strictly at the whim of whoever owns all the private marinas, and if they don't want to accept my money to use their ramps I am SOL and thats the end of it?... Can't fish from shore, can't get my boat on a lake that my money helps to stock??.. bob
Old 06-09-2021, 06:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This is and has been an issue at Greenwood and Hopatcong. They are so overdeveloped that there is limited or no access. The same goes for the Jersey Shore. Tax money repairs, manages with tax dollars and only the property owners get to use and enjoy.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would think that because it's an election year, that is why the money is being spread around, votes. Following this logic, we might want to bring this into the political spotlight with those running for office to help the cause, illuminate the issue and increase support to change this travesty, IMHO.