NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Goldfish - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-05-2022, 11:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Goldfish

Caught a 13” feral goldfish with canned whole kernel corn in Robert G Martin Lake this evening in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F25C827E-25A1-4C21-8B45-2754A1507189.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	158859  
Old 07-05-2022, 11:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ219bands View Post
Caught a 13” feral goldfish with canned whole kernel corn in Robert G Martin Lake this evening in the rain.
That’s a goldfish/common carp hybrid. Wild goldfish “brown goldfish” and carp are all over the place in NJ and I’ve caught many hybrids up to 13lbs.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmatt View Post
That’s a goldfish/common carp hybrid. Wild goldfish “brown goldfish” and carp are all over the place in NJ and I’ve caught many hybrids up to 13lbs.
hmm even more interesting! cool catch
Old 07-12-2022, 10:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmatt View Post
You are correct. A USGS ichthyologist agrees with you. Thanks for this...it's an interesting fish, and I really think it's a Goldfish X Common Carp hybrid: the head profile is more in line with Carp although it seems to be lacking barbels, and the photo angle precludes me from getting an accurate scale count but it seems to be between the ranges for carp (35 - 39) and goldfish (28 - 30). Anyway, that's what I've entered it as, and it can be found at https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/Spec...imenID=1695871.
Best,
-Matt
Old 07-13-2022, 09:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I used to take local kids to a pond that was filled with goldfish. It was a small pond of about an acre. I’m sure someone dumped a bunch of pet store comets in and they grew. Some of the fish that were caught had bright colors and long tails and were stocked in friends’ backyard fish ponds.

As a kid, those hybrid carp could be caught everywhere. They were just the right size for youngsters and the color varieties were all unique. When mom wouldn’t have time to make dough for bait for a seven year old, there was always gummy Wonder Bread.