NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2023 Freshwater Fisheries Forum Feb. 25th - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 02-16-2023, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default 2023 Freshwater Fisheries Forum Feb. 25th

Virtual Meeting
Ask Questions, Voice Opinions & Give Suggestions
The virtual 2023 Freshwater Fisheries Forum will be Saturday, February 25 at 10am.

Come and share your views and recommendations for the future of freshwater fisheries in New Jersey and learn about current research, management and fish culture activities!

This year's topics include:

Freshwater Fisheries Updates
Warmwater Fish Production Activities
Largemouth Bass Update
Invasive Species Update
The presentations will be followed by an open public question period.

You can join the virtual meeting from a computer, tablet or smartphone, or by telephone.

Official page: https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/news-2023021...ce=govdelivery

F&W - Register Now: https://register.gotowebinar.com/reg...ce=govdelivery

Reminder: Virtual Trout Meeting March 4!
Old 02-17-2023, 07:35 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: 2023 Freshwater Fisheries Forum Feb. 25th

I was hoping it wasn't going to be virtual this year.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 2023 Freshwater Fisheries Forum Feb. 25th

The way of the world, now.

I stopped by the Fish Lab and they told me that they rarely have face to face meetings anywhere. At the Fish Lab for staff meetings, they sit in their rooms get online for Zoom meetings. The Chief can join from Trenton, as well as biologists from the Central and Southern Region Offices.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

im all for remote meetings, i would love to take another tour in the hatcheries though. I remember seeing the cute lil baby muskies swimming in a giant tank
Old 02-17-2023, 11:03 AM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
The way of the world, now.

I stopped by the Fish Lab and they told me that they rarely have face to face meetings anywhere. At the Fish Lab for staff meetings, they sit in their rooms get online for Zoom meetings. The Chief can join from Trenton, as well as biologists from the Central and Southern Region Offices.
If that's the case you would think they would of saved enough money on coffee, donuts and bagels to put a stinking roof on the raceway already!
Old 02-17-2023, 11:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
If that's the case you would think they would of saved enough money on coffee, donuts and bagels to put a stinking roof on the raceway already!
Coffee, donuts and bagels at meetings,.............more relics of the past. Little to none of those for the last 5 or so years that I worked there. I retired 9/1/2018.

Money is being saved on gas / wear and tear on State Vehicles transportation to meetings.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:49 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Coffee, donuts and bagels at meetings,.............more relics of the past. Little to none of those for the last 5 or so years that I worked there. I retired 9/1/2018.

Money is being saved on gas / wear and tear on State Vehicles transportation to meetings.
So where is the roof, browns and brook trout?
Old 02-20-2023, 04:32 PM
Site Sponsor

I’ll be watching hoping to get some stuff down at the valley. It has neglected way too long.
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 02-25-2023, 12:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

(first?) time they found a freshwater drum, they said it's likely from the Hudson river shipping

Pretty cool to see
Old 02-25-2023, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Q: stock walleye in Splitrock?

A:

Split Rock Reservoir is currently one of a few potential candidates for either Walleye or Hybrid Striped Bass stocking. Within the coming few years I'm hoping to evaluate if this waterbody will be suitable for either of these species.

Audience Question

Q:

Are there still plans to put in a ramp at Splitrock?

A:

No recent talks of a new ramp at split rock. There is access and recent (within the last 5 years) updates made that created a car top launch area with kayak launches available.

Audience Question

Q:

audio is in and out

A:

For those of you having audio and video issues - we will be sharing a recording of this meeting online. Apologies for the inconvenience today.

Audience Question

Q:

Can we make the boat ramp split rock resi user friendly. Way to steep to launch a Jon boat an unsafe. Need a wider ramp that is not at a 90 degree angle

A:

The launch created wasn't intended for access of larger boats but we can look into current access if slope is an issue or creating dangerous conditions for anglers looking to walk their small boats or kayaks

Audience Question

Q:

Any plans to bring back the annual open house at Pequest?

A:

All trout related questions will be covered at the 2023 Annual Trout Meeting on March 4. If you have not registered you can do so here https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...43041368082523

Audience Question

Q:

Has anyone looked in to the apparent lack of bigger bass in Maskills mill pond and what the cause may be? Should we consider taking smaller bass out to improve the fishery?

A:

Maskells Millpond was last sampled in 2017 at which time we had a numnber of fish over 5 lbs. We will add the lake to our list of waterbodies to conduct an electrofishing survey in 2023.

Audience Question

Q:

Alloway lake does not appear to have any vegitation in the main lake. Has the lake been treated to limit vegitation?

A:

We are not aware of any current treatment but will check with our DEP Presticides program to see if the lake has been treated.

Audience Question

Q:

Will round valley be receiving any broodstock this year?

A:

Yes. Round Valley will be receiving Broodstock Rainbow Trout. It receives broodstock on an annual basis

Audience Question

Q:

I was surprised only union lake is stocked with Smallmout bass. Is the population in the Delaware sufficiently self sustaining?

A:

Smallmouth Bass are stocked annually depending on availability. The Delaware River is excellent habitat for Smallmouth and the population is self-sustaining.

Audience Question

Q:

Can the stocking of Landlock Salmon be considered for Round Valley Reservoir, it was already determined to be a stocking location for them. 100 or 200 fish will generate decent interest. The probability of them reproducing does not seem to be that great as their catch rates are high and forage reproduction is rather low as well.

A:

Currently there are no plans to stock Landlocked Salmon in RVR.

Audience Question

Q:

How are muskies doing in the Cooper River? I’m pleased to see them stocked there but surprised.

A:

The lake receives surplus fish that are available annually. Previous electrofishing surveys have showed a low density population but some rather large individuals greater than 40 inches have been caught by anglers.

Audience Question

Q:

Is there any plans to improve access to Willow Grove Lake? Its a very dangerous lake to get a kayak into because the aprking is across the street from a busy road and then you have to get over a guard rail.

A:

Layne, Fish and Wildlife does not have any property on the lake so we do not currently have any plans for improvement.

Audience Question

Q:

I the Hackettstown facility ever open for public visits?

A:

Stephen, the Hackettstown Hatchery is not open to the public. Please reach out to Craig Lemon for additional information

Audience Question

Q:

Good morning!

A:

Good moring! Thanks for attending!

Audience Question

Q:

Are Largemouth, Smallmouth or Channel Catfish stocked in any sections the D & R canal.

A:

Chuck, The D & R Canal has not been stocked with LMB or SMB in recent years. Our complete stocking list is annually posted on our website.

Audience Question

Q:

Are all the catch rates of bass/hr from the previous slides derived from electrofishing analysis?

A:

Yes the catch rates are for those electrofishing surveys.

Audience Question

Q:

Has there been recently or will there be any survey done for Carnegie Lake?

A:

Yes, Carnegie was sampled in 2018 or 2019. We had excellent results with one of the highest electrofishing catch rates I have ever had. Many very nice fish were collected.

Audience Question

Q:

Will Mennantico WMA be closed agin this summer?

A:

Seasonal closures applied to specific WMAs is still under discussion and is scheduled to be discussed at the March Fish & Game Council Meeting. After that meeting we will have a final plan for 2023.

Audience Question

Q:

What is the status of public use at Alloway lake? Since the state funded a new dam and stocking system, it appears the residents have now tried to privatize use from the public.

A:

Chris, From our understanding the gates and lake were opened back up for public fishing.

Audience Question

Q:

I have a question for Scott Collenburg, Not sure if you guys are aware of the holland brook river in readington , it was dug out by a NY trout restoration program due to erosion. It is a wild brook trout river and there is none in there at all, I'm wondering if it is going to be stocked with trout. it can defiantly sustain trout of all kinds.

A:

Hey Justin, I'm aware of work being done on Holland Brook. A lot goes into considering stocking a waterbody with trout such as public access, interest, and recreation. We also have to balance that with the biology and conditions of the waterbody. The stream is classified as non-trout so if you know of a location where you've caught Brook Trout I'd love to know because it would have implications to protect the stream more. All of our surveys have been reflective of a warmwater fish assemblage and I'd like to note some more rare species like Comely Shiners and Shield Darters are found. All that to say, although it's an interesting thought, there's a lot to consider. I love to hear recommenadations about spots of interests from anglers and I'll keep it in my mind for consideration.

Audience Question

Q:

how do these invasive species get introduced? and who is in possession of these and how do they introduce them?

A:

There are many pathways from which invasive become established. Fish can be release from aquariums, anglers, shipping ballast water to name a few.

Audience Question

Q:

Status of Walleye in Swartswood Lake?

A:

Electrofishing surveys conducted in 2015 as well as Hackettstown's broodstock collection have showed a strong population of Walleye continues to exist. Swartswood Lake will be electrofished again for two nights this spring, likely this coming month or in early April.

Audience Question

Q:

More of an enforcement question but is anyone looking into increasing the fines for violations. from what i understand the fines haven't been increased in a very long time and aren't much of a deterrent in present day dollars?

A:

Many fines are set by statute and require an act of the legislature to change. Other fines FW can request/recommend a certain fine but the actual fine is determined by local courts. So no simple solution. We do work to incorporate fines within new regulations to help address the issue.

Audience Question

Q:

Will the electofishing in Swartswood also help look into the smallmouth population? Ever since the HAB outbreak a few years ago the SMB seem to be MIA

A:

When conducting our Walleye surveys, we also collect all Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass. The survey will certainly help shine some light on this and help determine if additional targetted bass sampling will be needed.

Audience Question

Q:

I had read there was potential to stock walleyes in Manasquan Reservoir, is this still one of the bodies of water still being considered?
Whatever happened to the tiger Musky stocking in Manasquan Reservoir?
Will trout ever be stocked again in Manasquan Reservoir?

A:

Manasquan is still under consideration for stocking Walleyes. Annual stocking of Muskellunge was discontinued a few years ago due to the lack of a development of a fishery, however we still utilize the reservoir for stocking any surplus Muskellunge when they are available.

Audience Question

Q:

How can we keep off road vecicles from driving through our streams???

A:

This would be an enforcement issue. If this is taking place on State Property- Fish and Wildlife Wildlife Management Area property or NJ State Park property, please contact 1-877-WARNDEP (1-877-927-6337)

Audience Question

Q:

Last year, I sent in to the Division a petition with 231 signatures asking that the Division fall stock to Pequannock River in the towns of Butler, Bloomingdale, and Riverdale, all in Northern N.J
i have since received an additional 30 signatures requesting the same.
i was told that a fisheries biologist would look into it, yet almost a year later, I have heard nothing back.
This river is the only river fed by the large dam at Charlottesburg Reservoir, and the water temperature remains cold by releases from various depths out of the reservoir dam all year long.
The Pequannock does not have a hot summer danger temperature for trout like many other State stocked rivers.

A:

All trout related questions will be covered at the 2023 Annual Trout Meeting on March 4. If you have not registered you can do so here https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...43041368082523

Audience Question

Q:

Shad update on musconetcong River?

A:

Shad have been found in the Musconetcong River at the base of the next dam. We have been surveying through various methods to determine if reproduction is occuring. Unfortunately, we have not documented reproduction YET. We will continue to look for reproduction and encourage anglers to let us know if they see schools of juvenile shad so we can try to document. The Paulins Kill is in exactly the same situation.

Audience Question

Q:

What’s the furthest south tributary snakeheads have been found? Are they moving into brackish/saltwater tributaries?

A:

Frank, The snakehead has a much higher salinity tolerance than biologists first thought. We have found them as far south as Alloway Creek as of 2022.

Audience Question

Q:

dies anyone know where the fish went in Lake Horicon, lakehurst? used to catch all kinds of pickerel, bluegill and catfish. now there seems to be nothing in there. thanks for your time and appreciate the webinar, great info

A:

Kenneth I haven't receieved any negative reports from Horicon Lake recently. However, we can plan take a look at the fish population this year for additional data and see how its faring.

Audience Question

Q:

dies anyone know where the fish went in Lake Horicon, lakehurst? used to catch all kinds of pickerel, bluegill and catfish. now there seems to be nothing in there. thanks for your time and appreciate the webinar, great info

A:

It has been a few years since we last sampled that waterbody. We will add the location to our list of waterbodies to sample.

Audience Question

Q:

In response to my snakehead question: there have been documented catches in the Cohansey watershed. Is the state aware of this?

A:

Frank. We have not received any confirmed catches from the Cohansey. We electrofished from the boat ramp to the wooded bridge in 2022 and did not catch any. Thank you for the information. We have additional sampling planned for the location in 2023.

Audience Question

Q:

Any date on lake Hopatcong bass population through electro sampling

A:

We last electrofished Lake Hopatcong in 2019, at which time the population was doing very well. We plan to sample the lake again in either 2023 or 2024.

Audience Question

Q:

Any chance of stocking smallmouth in green turtle pond. Any data on the largemouth pop there

A:

Green Turtle Pond was last survey back in 2016. The population was generally dominated by smaller Largemouth Bass. Smallmouth Bass are currently not being considered for stocking there, however this waterbody is potentially under consideration for Hybrid Striped Bass stocking.

Audience Question

Q:

Hello All, Glad to be able to listen in today as I am currently boating in the South Atlantic just passing Cuba as I write this.
I'm looking forward to getting back to N.J. in time for spring trout season.

A:

Smooth sailing Thomas.

Audience Question

Q:

Why is there no access to the south branch Raritan at rockafellows mill road?

A:

There is access on one side of the bridge just downstream of Rockfellows Mill dam, part of the South Branch WMA, the rest and the dam itself is privately owned.

Audience Question

Q:

has anyone with state been made aware of the prevalance of cormorants and the impact they may have on trout stocked waters?

A:

Audience Question

Q:

Does the agency work on habitat restoration for fish. Ex. Sinking x-mas trees or placing other structure in some smaller lakes to create better habitat like they do in the south. Creating structure in lakes greatly improves the habitat

A:

Steven, Yes we regularly do these projects on waterbodies throughout the state. We have a few in the planning stage over the next couple years.

Audience Question

Q:

There are a lot of lakes with little to no deep water structure:

A:

Layne, We are currently working on a few projects that will occur over the next couple years. We will be looking for volunteers to help out.

Audience Question

Q:

Would it be possible to consider Round Valley for a habitat project?

A:

Stephen, RV is another waterbody that is being considered.

Audience Question

Q:

Any data on the Passaic river regarding smallmouth and pike in the elm wood ok area

A:

Northern Pike have been difficult to capture in the Passaic River. We've conducted extensive surveys from 2015-2019 with low catch rates that we feel do not reflect angler catch rates. I'm working on trying to find a better survey method/timing that may help better reflect the fishery.