NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Blackfish Jigging - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Blackfish Jigging

Over the years I’ve seen it all…. Rigs out fishing jigs and jigs out fishing rigs. “Riggers” offended by “Jiggers” and “Jiggers” offended by “Riggers”. While I’m no expert on either subject, my philosophy on this is you can’t argue with success. I’m always up for trying new things and if “Jigging” or “Rigging” is working on any given day, that’s what I’m going with. That and it’s fun to mix things up every once and a while too…..

All that being said, I’m going to focus on Jigging here with 2 big caveats
- Your actual mileage might vary.. Conditions, how the fish are biting, time of year, skills, methods etc will all play in your success or failure.
- With rig fishing as we all know, it’s more about the Indian then the arrow. I’ve seen people fishing old Penn Squider reels and broomstick poles out fish guys with the latest and greatest outfits. With jig fishing it’s about both. The Indian and his skills make a difference but the gear or arrow he uses plays an equally important role… Unless you have the right gear, I don’t care how good a Blackfishermen you are, using the wrong gear is a big handicap.

So, let’s start out with the gear you’ll need…. This is a finesse type of fishing so think light and sensitive…. You need to be able to feel the jig make contact with the bottom and the tick bites. If not, you’ll be reeling up empty hooks all day long…
- First of all you need to fish braid in order to feel the subtle bites… Braid is followed by a minimum of a 30 pound top shot of leader….
- The pole and reel also make a difference in the feel… A light weight pole with a sensitive tip and a strong backbone paired with a light weight reel with at least 15 pounds of drag is a must…. You are not going to have any success jigging with a broom stick and a heavy bulky reel PERIOD……
- You also need jigs with just enough weight to hold bottom in the conditions you’re fishing. Sizes from 1 ounce up to 4 usually covers it and IMHO, if you need more than 4 ounce jigs, you should be rig fishing.
- While some people do fish with light weight conventional poles and reels most “Jiggers” are using spinning set ups. I’ve fished both and I prefer spinning gear….

Now that you got the right gear, let’s talk methods:
- Cut your crab of choice in half and remove the legs…. Don’t cut the legs too close since the leg sockets help keep the crab on the hook better and that’s important… Run the hook through one leg socket and out another.
- You can cast around to find some structure but your best feel is going to be straight up and down… In heavier seas casting out is preferred since the scope and angle of the line will help absorb the seas and keep your jig still and on the bottom.
- You want just enough tension on your line to feel your jig hit bottom and detect strikes when you get one.
- If you don’t get a bite. Every few minutes, lift your rod tip and let the jig settle on the bottom…. I’m talking small moves here not like you’re jigging for Fluke and constantly jigging….
- The bite is different every day…. Occasionally you’ll have a suicide bite where they pick it up the jig and run with it but most days all you’ll feel is a slight tap.
- Setting the hook by fast whip high sticking or just lifting your rod tip to set the hook is up for debate…. See what works for you and others on that day but don’t get married to it, every day is different.

Warning…. If you are new to jigging there’s a pretty steep learning curve. Stick with it, watch others and once you get good at it you’ll have another trick in your bag and another thing to try when rigs aren’t working as effectively….

OK “Jiggers” and “Riggers” feel free to pile on here

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 01-21-2022 at 08:37 AM..
Old 09-29-2017, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Blackfish Jigging

Awesome post Gerry! I went out for Blackfish for the first time earlier this week and wish I had this to go off of, but now that i have it it just means that I have to go out and try again!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the post Gerry! I've rigged fish for blackfish for 40 years now and tomorrow will be my first jigging trip. Borrowed an outfit from Mark at Jigging World (big thanks Mark) so if jigging doesn't produce it will clearly be a user error!
Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Jigging blacks , or anything , is more fun and more guy's are doing it , but I think most are still sinker bouncing . I'll take the jigs .
Old 09-29-2017, 08:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

IMO the exact same blank has more sensitivity as a bait caster than it does a spinning rod.
Fished a few different rods built both ways, and I think that the eyes deaden some if the hit on a spinning rod.

Some of the new lighter fluke set ups are ideal.
Blackhole 701 L with a Revo on it is hard to beat, and you will never cut your finger on a hook set like you can using your finger on a spinning reel.

Bite most times is WAY lighter than fishing rigs, and for guys used to waiting on a tug, get cleaned pretty quick

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 09-29-2017, 10:14 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for all the info. Any idea as to why so many jiggers seem to use spinning gear?
Old 09-29-2017, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynch View Post
Thanks for all the info. Any idea as to why so many jiggers seem to use spinning gear?
Think it's better to feed out the line that conventional
Old 09-29-2017, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Excellent post! in my opinion jig fishing is a fad... early season you can enjoy the excitement however as we beat into colder months I'm a huge fan of the Belmar rig... I don't spent much time blackfishing on boats because i rather surf fish over everything... however I have 6 double digit fish fishing the belmar rig with white leggers being incredibly lazy but patient.. my first time on a head boat black fishing I caught a 10 and 15lber, both released using this rig and being super chill and patient... I noticed that many guys fishing blackfish are way to tigger happy and miss a ton of fish while I just chill and wait for that right "bump"
Old 09-30-2017, 04:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Jig fishing is no fad , I was personally introduced to it as a shallow water technique over 30 years ago & it was dynamite then & still is today !
What I missed was that u could use basically same technique in deeper water .
I like many others I'm sure didn't complete the dots until now !
I prefer spin since ur jigs are lighter many times under 3oz's so why cart around heavy outfits which limit feel & can be hvy to hold all day.
Everything about heavier outfits really don't agree with jig n bait technique so lighter faster spin outfits perform these tasks well .
Also u now have spinning reels that stand up well to this fishery , using lighter line gets u deep w/o requiring heavier lures its in my opinion the way to,go,if u choose ur outfit wisely. I
Old 09-30-2017, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I hate swinging at little ticks. Give me a super hard crab on a rig and let me wait for the right bite. The jigging fight is fun, but the bite is crap most of the time. I like rig fishing with my 12-20lb sea bass rod at times. Still a good fight but with a harder bite.