NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Avet SX vs. Shimano Saragosa 10000 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-03-2016, 07:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Avet SX vs. Shimano Saragosa 10000

I know these two are completely different, but I'm wondering if anyone has any preference for one over the other? Traditionally, I use a spinning reel for 95% of my saltwater inshore/nearshore fishing, but am curious about going conventional. At the same time, I've heard the Saragosa 10000 will cover almost every type of fishing possible in NJ. Any thoughts are appreciated!!
Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Avet SX vs. Shimano Saragosa 10000

Apples and Oranges... Both great reels but totally different. Saragossa spinner with 33 lbs of drag will be good for offshore tuna jigging and popping but will be overkill for most inshore applications. The Avet Sx conventional with 14 lbs of drag is not a reel you'd consider for offshore jigging and popping but is great for just about anything inshore.

What do you intend to use the reel for?

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-03-2016, 08:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'd say mostly inshore type stuff (stripers, blues, fluke, etc.). Thanks for the advice! Going to look closer at the Avet then, the Shimano seems like overkill.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have a Saragosa 8000SW that I bought for tarpon fishing in Florida this May and even that is a big reel. The smaller 5000 or 6000 is still a good-sized reel and they're sweet reels, well-built, powerful and smooth.

If you've never used a conventional and are only going to be fishing inshore, I would definitely consider starting off with a star drag instead of a lever drag.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The guys are giving you all the right info, like Gerry said apples & oranges. Defiantly go star drag if you never fished a conventional, Avet MX is a little bigger then SX but it is defiantly to big for fluke. There are a ton of good all purpose reels out there.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

The Avet SX or SXJ would be my reel of choice for inshore stuff. SXJ is a little smaller then the SX in size and weight and line capacity but both have the same amount of rated drag. If you are going to be casting a lot then you also might consider the MC cast control models of the SX or SXJ. Casting with a conventional reel is tricky unless you know how to thumb the spool to avoid back lashes. The cast control practically eliminates back lashes with out have to thumb the spool.

Matching the reel to the pole is key for a nice balanced set up. If you already have a pole you intend to use it on, I would go to one of our local sponsors and see which reel matches up best to the pole you intend to use.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-03-2016, 12:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks very much everybody. Yes, was looking at Avet SXJ also this morning and that looks to be the best choice for what I'd be looking to do with it. Most likely would just be dropping straight down and jigging. I actually don't even have the conventional rod yet either. Literally all the stuff I have is either spinning or fly gear. I do love my Penn Conflict 5000 on my custom rod which can pretty much be used for anything in inshore NJ also, just looking to get another toy! Thanks again all, tight lines
Old 03-03-2016, 06:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Lots of good advice here. I would just add, stay with the SX for mono. The SXJ is a great reel, but the limited line capacity can be an issue unless you spool it with braid. Also, stay below the maximum rated drag to avoid premature wear of bearings.