NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Snelling? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Snelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
I know there are many diff ways to snell a hook, and this is a new one for me! Never seen the line go through the eye twice. What I like about the method I linked, you can snell a hook onto the end of your leader without having to pretie them.
I just saw that on Extreme Fishing this weekend. Had me and my husband keep rewinding and fast forward while we tried to do it. not as easy with the 40lb line.
Our friend took us to the ocean to teach us about the great mystical mysteries below, in waters as calm as they can be rough, as deep as they can be wide, lessons of patience and skill are shared. If the tight line never finds its fish, the day always starts and ends with a friend a smile and a memory. It is a great friend who takes you to the ocean to show you that this great ocean the happy peaceful place is a visible definition of your friendship. Thank you dear friend Marilyn "MsGulp"
Old 04-15-2014, 08:48 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Takes a little bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you will be a machine. Not only do you save money but you don't have to rely on someone else's snell to land a good fish. Major benefit is you can choose your favorite hook and line of choice (I always buy bundles of straight leader).
Old 04-15-2014, 01:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey PetyHD,
Tie all my own rigs. Can you tell where I can buy leaders bundles ? Thanks.... Walt
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmeow View Post
Hey PetyHD,
Tie all my own rigs. Can you tell where I can buy leaders bundles ? Thanks.... Walt
Not sure where you live but if your up in North Jersey site sponsor Fairfield Tackle has them. Also a non sponsor sporting store in Garfield has them.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:52 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyHD View Post
Not sure where you live but if your up in North Jersey site sponsor Fairfield Tackle has them. Also a non sponsor sporting store in Garfield has them.
Yupp I get mine at the place in Garfield too. I think they sell for $1 a bunch of 3-4ft pieces.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Great u-tube link.
Thanks.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Inshore Snelling can be accomplished using several methods, however one that I use on occasion is the loop snell that allows U to push slack onto the snell to lock softer baits on hook . This snell is common on west coast steelhead streams where egg skeins or crawfish r common steelhead baits.
Comes in handy in different bait situations as noted above .
Old 11-10-2014, 01:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

What is the benefit of snelling a hook vs. a simple knot like a palomar or a clinch knot?
Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A simple tool called the Tie-Fast tool can help you snell a hook in half the time.
It is actually a nail knot tool and is the only tool I ever ran across that helps to make an easy nail knot for attaching a leader to a fly line.
A version comes with clippers and a jig eye cleaner that has more general uses.
It is so easy to snell a hook with this thing that even an old guy with shaky hands and bad eyes can do it.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupes View Post
What is the benefit of snelling a hook vs. a simple knot like a palomar or a clinch knot?
Stronger than MOST knots under certain conditions. It also limits the movement of the hook to dome degree in specific bait presentations . Eliminates abrasion on hook eye when fighting large fish on lighter tackle .
A good snell will allow u to land big tough fish whereas a simple knot may weaken under the pressure ! It will not move so abrasion on hook eye eliminated .