NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Senko technique? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Senko technique?

About a month ago, I started throwing Senko type plastics. First time I used them I caught 3 bass. I have been fishing them for a month now and absolutely love em. I have caught up to 15 bass in an outing with them and have had a couple other double digit days. I have fished them anywhere from 10 minutes to the entire time and have always gotten a bass on them. Biggest one so far with them would be a 4 lb. bucketmouth out of Assunpink the other day. That's not to say they are big fish baits, I have caught tons of dinks with the. All Im saying is that these baits catch lots of bass of all sizes. This isn't an article, more or less a "I'll tell you my way, you tell me yours".

I wacky rig them weightlessly with a 1/0 baitholder hook. I use a medium spinning set up spooled with 10 lb. mono. I prefer Yum Dingers in 4" or 5" depending on the depth and size/activity level of the fish. My absolute favorite color would be a black/blue laminate with green pumpkin, cajun neon, and red/black also working fairly well. I like throwing them around any cover that isn't extremely thick whether it's visible or submerged. When working visible cover I do 3-4 lifts and drops and then pitch to the next object. When doing this I often get bit as soon as I take up the slack. When working non visible cover I work it with lifts and drops from in front of the cover to past it. No matter what kind of cover Im working I sometimes give the bait a quick shake and sometimes this triggers strikes. I haven't used them any deeper than 10' or so. Bites have ranged from light scratches to hard thumps. I set the hook anywhere from immediately to 3 seconds later depending on the bite/activity of the fish. I miss a lot of fish, but then again Im still new to it. Well, that's my technique.

What's yours? I am really interested to hear how others like to fish these wonderful baits as Im still learning a lot about them myselves. I know a lot of people on here also like to throw Senkos, so Im sure there are plenty of opinions on this subject. Finally, thanks for reading this.

Last edited by AJFISH13; 10-02-2011 at 08:20 AM..
Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Senko technique?

texas rigged or wacky they both are awesome
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks Joeya78. Come on everyone, I know there are a LOT of guys on here using these baits, it's no secret. Im sure we could all learn a little more about them no matter how long you have used them.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Bump.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I swear by wacky style. Even in sticky stuff (i'm a master of getting unstuck because of this.) The most important part with senko's is to have multiple colors and to vary your retrieve until you something that works. I also really like zoom lizards
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdumbandfulloffish
I swear by wacky style. Even in sticky stuff (i'm a master of getting unstuck because of this.) The most important part with senko's is to have multiple colors and to vary your retrieve until you something that works. I also really like zoom lizards
I have gotten aggravated working them wacky style in really thick slop. I try throwing them to the edge of the slop and have picked off lots of fish. However, I am sure the biggest bass are in that stuff, that's when it's time to change to something weedless. I don't seem to have anywhere the same confidence trying a weedless rigged Senko however, they just look more appealing underwater rigged wacky. I have seen days were the retrieve was important. However, the best color by far has seemed to be a black/blue laminate except in one situation where the water was extremely clear and the fish were extremely pressured. I tried a green pumpkin/brown color to imitate a crayfish and it worked to some degree. I never tried a lizard, heard they work very well on spawning bass. How do your rig/work them? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

artie, i never new you bassed fished. i can asure you that all other SHIT wil not work as good as this senko http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...ct/95619/94511 it does not matter at all wich coler you get. BEST SENKOS EVER. i only bring these no other jerk baits or any shit like that. i have two methods of fishing them. my first way of working them is by casting them out i like to wait about 7 seconds always watch your line that is floating on top if you get a hit (wich you usally will) the line will slowly creep away and gradully get faster once the the line comes tight set it. butt if you dont get a hit in the 7 seconds i slowly reel in and do four small jerks towerd the surface,then let it sink for 5 more seconds and reapet. when you get a hit immmeditly open the bail count to 5 close the bail and fish on. the second method is when fish are active or when i fist get to a new spot it will almost always trigger a bite. i cast and ammeditly start a very slow retrive along the surface when you are retreving jerk the bait every 2 seconds usally you will see the fish come up and destroy it.do the same thing when you get a hit as in the first method. i have caught up to 60 bass and having 5 to 6 fish in the 6 to 8 pound rang. the lake i go to is extremly confidential . (fyi im the kid the kid that fishes on the cock robin with the orange wig) good luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

for the setup i like 2 feet of florocarbon leader 1/0 octapos gamkatsu.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hey Justin didn't know u fished freshwater either. I will defintely give what you said a shot THANKS.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

ya man, well as long as you dont keep the bass i can pm you the spot