NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spooling Braid ? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Spooling Braid ?

Two years ago I stopped backing braid with mono when I spooled braid on a reel, I just put some athletic tape on the spool and never had a problem. It was recently suggested to me not to do this but instead just make an overhand knot and lay the tag end along the spool and put down the first layer tightly side by side. Once the first layer is laid down that will provide the grip to prevent slipping. Does anyone spool in this way?, and why is tape bad for the spool? I was told it traps moisture and causes pitting but I don't see how.
________
VAPORIZERS

Last edited by TAB95; 08-31-2011 at 03:01 PM..
Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Spooling Braid ?

I still back with mono- very rarely do I need the entire reel filled with braid anyway, for me it's cheaper to back with the mono anyways. Not many reels require the full thing to be filled with braid anyways- the only one I have was sold to me that way, and I can honestly never see myself needing 600 yds of 65 lb power pro anyways.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When using the color coded braid for jigging tuna, just HOW MUCH braid do you guys usually spool onto your reels? I jig off partyboats so there is no chasing the fish down.
When tile fishing I make sure I have 500 yards of braid, on my 300 yard reels I have been into the backing just to get the sinker on the bottom!!
Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The OP is on the money. After tying to the arbor of the spool lay the tag end across the width of the spool and reel tightly (I use ~10lbs of pressure on my tuna reels) over the tag end. It won't slip. Period. Giant MYTH busted.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have seen people not use a backing, I have witnessed the braid turning on the spool due to this. another trick is to use a rubberband around the spool before you put the braid on.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:06 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I only had it spin on the spool once, years ago when I used the original "spiderwire". That was not a true braid?? More like a fused line?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bear
The OP is on the money. After tying to the arbor of the spool lay the tag end across the width of the spool and reel tightly (I use ~10lbs of pressure on my tuna reels) over the tag end. It won't slip. Period. Giant MYTH busted.
Baloney..I had my braid spin on the spool last week and I spooled it with the tag end across the spool to lock the wraps down. I normally back it with mono till I read that you don't need to. For me, the myth still lives.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickrazz
Baloney..I had my braid spin on the spool last week and I spooled it with the tag end across the spool to lock the wraps down. I normally back it with mono till I read that you don't need to. For me, the myth still lives.
Tuna fisherman have been tying braid straight to the spool for quite a while now and never experience any issues. I've personally fished up to 35lbs of drag and never had the line slip. As I said, you have to use a lot of tension, maybe that was the problem?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had my grandson send this in to the guys from "Myth Busters"! Maybe they will do a show on this!! I figure, why take the chance? I just use enough mono to cover the spool completely, I still have more braid on my reel than I should ever need. Although if you use an Avet SX, Mxl, or another similar reel, you will need all the braid you can spool.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Bear
Tuna fisherman have been tying braid straight to the spool for quite a while now and never experience any issues. I've personally fished up to 35lbs of drag and never had the line slip. As I said, you have to use a lot of tension, maybe that was the problem?
I never measured how much tension I use but its possible I guess. I spool up from a spare reel and use the drag on that reel to create my tension. It might be due to the spool width also. Its a saltiga 15 and its very narrow. there might not be enough width to lock it in and the spool also as tall as a 30T which doesn't help matters. And come to think of it, it only happened when it got wet.