NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mackerel Fishing 101 Get ready!!!! - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Mackerel Fishing 101 Get ready!!!!

Here's an interesting article.

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/press_rele...ciSpot/SS1104/
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelikes2fish
I saw this too. Thanks for posting. Interesting is right!

Leif
Old 04-01-2013, 04:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think the environment(water/sea) is going to change a lot near and long term. I had several conversations last year with my fishing buddies. Seemed like every time I went online or through my own experience, I noticed several posting about different fish in areas that was totally out of the norm. Between the Orcas in Jan of 2012 off the coast of N. Carolina chopping at the BFT's being hooked by the charter boats, YFT's being caught in numbers by the bluefish boats here in NJ while at the same time Haddock being caught in numbers last June 3 on a ling trip I was on, mahi mahi being caught on the beach in Sandy Hook, several online pics of the elusive Purple Hake, one of which I caught on a deep water mudhole trip last August 5th. Gray and Golden tiles being caught just this past winter on a local headboat fishing the mudhole area. Red Drum making a strong showing in the surf at Cape May. I know there were several other species of fish during last summer that were also caught. Just seems very odd, seems like mother nature is trying to send us a message.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelikes2fish
I think the environment(water/sea) is going to change a lot near and long term. I had several conversations last year with my fishing buddies. Seemed like every time I went online or through my own experience, I noticed several posting about different fish in areas that was totally out of the norm. Between the Orcas in Jan of 2012 off the coast of N. Carolina chopping at the BFT's being hooked by the charter boats, YFT's being caught in numbers by the bluefish boats here in NJ while at the same time Haddock being caught in numbers last June 3 on a ling trip I was on, mahi mahi being caught on the beach in Sandy Hook, several online pics of the elusive Purple Hake, one of which I caught on a deep water mudhole trip last August 5th. Gray and Golden tiles being caught just this past winter on a local headboat fishing the mudhole area. Red Drum making a strong showing in the surf at Cape May. I know there were several other species of fish during last summer that were also caught. Just seems very odd, seems like mother nature is trying to send us a message.
I think you are right.....

“Atlantic mackerel is one of many species shifting their distribution range as a result of changing oceanographic and environmental patterns,” said Hare. "Those include regional temperature changes from year to year and larger scale environmental forces or climate drivers such as the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO).

Recent studies have indicated a northward shift in distributions of a number of species in this region (Nye et al., 2009), and work by Hare and others in 2010 documents a shift in the distribution and increase in biomass of Atlantic croaker (Micropogonias undulatus) associated with warming. This latest study on Atlantic mackerel by Hare and NOAA Fisheries co-authors William Overholtz (now retired) and Charles Keith of the NEFSC’s Woods Hole Laboratory in Massachusetts indicates that the changes in distribution are related to both interannual variability in temperature and a general warming trend on the Northeast Atlantic continental Shelf.

Leif