NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rigging for Fluke (With Graphs) - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Rigging for Fluke (With Graphs)

I was having some trouble with line twist on my second rig last week that I used all day. I ended up putting much stiffer mono on the trailer hook and Captain george pointed out that my Gulp Shrimp was a bit to loose on the hook. Fixed the problem right up. I guess the point is keep trying new stuff. I think I went up to 40# flouro at 18" for the trailing hook.

My biggest fish was caught on the Spro on one of those 8" strips gulp sells using the assist hook. And I had another one come halfway up and fall off on the same piece. Could see the teeth marks, just didn't get the hook all the way though I guess.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for the breakdown on the rigs. Is there any way that you can maybe post some pics of what the rigs should look like? The drawings are great but Ild like to see what the final product should look like. Thanks again
Old 07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I can see if when I go out Saturday I can try and take a picture of whatever I use laying out on the fishbox. With the line and stuff it's hard to tell, but I can give it a whirl.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hey Russ,
Just want to say thanks for the pics. I go back to the 50's fishing on head boats like the Happy with my Dad out of the Highlands. Still have been fishing the old fashioned way with killies. I do use chartruese spinners and octapus tails but would love to try the new techniques I see posted all the time. For me a picture is worth a thousand words. Printed out the post and will use it to try to get started. Still not out boat in shop but hopefully soon. Thanks again Walt
Old 07-08-2010, 05:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Anyone else use a stand-out hook rigged above their Spro/bucktail? I started using them last season and the are absolutely deadly when baited with a live killie or soft plastic (I do really well with the GULP 4" swimming minnow or 3" shrimp but have also caught on Fin~S, Zooms).

Because I've only been able to find these hooks only up to 2/0, I use it for river/bay fluking. I have no doubt in my mind that if I could find a bigger sized one they'd be just as effective out on the rough stuff.

Google stand out hook and take a look for yourself.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I haven't tried that, nor have I seen them. However, I find that with the octopus hook I use, it angles the bait slightly downward and puts it directly in the flukes strike zone. I hook up much easier on that top hook angled slightly down than I do on the bouncing spro. I'd say 70% of my catches are on that top hook.

Also thank you for the compiments guys, just trying to help out. I recieved quite a few PM's with further questions and may update the original post later. Was away last week and been very busy with work now that i'm back.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I was reading through these posts, a lot of it still stands I think. I won't get to start my season for at LEAST another week. But hey, if you're out there, GOOD LUCK, and maybe this will still help someone.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Great report. Thanks for taking the time.
Question.. On the Monger Style you show a stinger hook. What bait do you use to need a stinger.
thanks.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My first post.

Thank you! Just what this 'fluke guppy' was looking for. After a multitude of tries with random rigs, I look forward to try any method I have yet to utilize.

Awesome. Can't wait to get out on the water with my buddies this Sunday.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went out yesterday(sandy hook). 2 guys caught about 60 fluke(1 keeper). Used a rig from a company called Aqua-Clear. Cheap and great rigs with "T" standoff. Sen me a Priv. Mess. with your address(I'm in Mahwah) and I'll send you one. See photo, but mine don't have bucktail and have kahle hooks. I use squid on top and spearing(or gulp mullet) on bottom. Thanks again...
HowardClick image for larger version

Name:	AquaClearRig.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	37167