NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tile fish gear - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Tile fish gear

I would like to get in on some tile fishing this year having never done this before I assume my inshore bottom fishing gear is not match for up to 3 pounds of leads plus a fish!
I am planning on getting a Bogan rod as he has made all my blackfish rods and I love them all!
Now I need a reel recommendation!! I'm not looking for an electric reel and don't need a Cadillac model! Just a reliable reel that has the line capacity and drag I need!
Last hook size, braid size, shock leader size???
Thanks guys
Old 02-24-2016, 06:37 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tile fish gear

First - talk to Dave at The Reel Seat in Brielle - he is the Tile master and a great guy. When my buddy and I started tile fishing Dave set us up with all the right gear and advice we needed. He'll also tell you which rigs and weight sinkers you'll need and how many of each for a successful trip. In the mean time, check his website under Tile specific gear and rigs and you'll get a good idea of what you'll need. He's on NJFishing and he'll probably chime in.

A few pointers that I learned through my research early on...

Rod - I fish a Reel Seat Custom Tile Fish Rod and love it. I personally prefer graphite over eglass but whichever you choose, don't go too light. I suggest an 8 foot rod regardless of which brand you choose

Reel - Don't bother with 2 speed reel and do not get a high speed reel. You want about a 4.3:1 ratio for a good balance of power and speed. I started with a Fin-Nor Offshore OFC30L (4.3 ratio). They don't make this reel anymore but you can find them for a good deal, even still NIB on eBay.

Line - 50lb solid core braid - a hi vis color - I use Sufix 832

Top shot / Leader - ~30 feet of 60lb mono. Fluorocarbon isn't necessary. I suggest using a wind-on - I get mine from Reel Seat.

Rigs - I suggest circle hook rigs from Reel Seat - High quality hand tied rigs - get the 2 hook tile rigs, the 1 hook trophy tile rigs and the smaller rosefish rigs - they are all on Dave's web site.

Dave also gives seminars at the different shows and at his shop - very informative, I strongly recommend sitting in on one. You'll learn stuff you haven't even considered yet.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Still have Kevin bogan tile Rod from friends father who past away. Built on a calstar blank. 8 ft that was made specifically for tiles. I believe all his reels appropriate for tiles were sold but will check. Still have one of his electrics for sale Diawa Tanacom Bull 750. By his is an 800 dollar reel. Selling for 500
Look into the Diawa Saltist. The black one the has lower gear ratio I believe around 4.5 to 1. Good reel for not a lot of coin.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:05 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Still have Kevin bogan tile Rod from friends father who past away. Built on a calstar blank. 8 ft that was made specifically for tiles. I believe all his reels appropriate for tiles were sold but will check. Still have one of his electrics for sale Diawa Tanacom Bull 750. By his is an 800 dollar reel. Selling for 500
Look into the Diawa Saltist. The black one the has lower gear ratio I believe around 4.5 to 1. Good reel for not a lot of coin.
That Saltist is not a low gear reel. The only low gear Saltists were silver and were discontinued about 5 years ago.

The Reel Seat, Inc
Serving the Salt Water fishing community since 1982
707 Union Ave (Rt 71), Brielle
(732) 223-5353
www.reelseat.com
Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
What calstar blank on the tile rod?

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 02-25-2016, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
That Saltist is not a low gear reel. The only low gear Saltists were silver and were discontinued about 5 years ago.

One of the reels i sold for the Had Birchmeyer Memorial Fund was a BLACK Diawa Saltist STT 50 with 4:9;1 gear ratio. Reel when it first came out retailed for 189.99. It was basically a poor mans Saltiga. Lot of good choices out there at a much higher price. I sold at the Flea Market Fundraiser loaded with 65lb braid for $80 bucks. Hookset was not looking to break the bank as he mentioned so that is why i recommended that he look into that reel. And yes they have been discontinued but the are still around in silver as Dave mentioned but they did make it in Black as that is the one he had.

Walleyed
As for what Calstar blank was used to build tile rod. I would not know exactly being it was not my rod. From knowing what blanks Kevin uses it would be my guess that it is the GF 800H. To know exactly it may be a question you ask Kevin Bogan as to what Calstar blank he uses to build 8' Tile rod.

Last edited by MVP; 02-25-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Old 03-13-2016, 04:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I hate spending money on bad advise. I bought an Airwave Elite 6'6" and rated for up to 130lbs. It was on sale so it's not that bad. I"m going to use it in my garden for a tomato stick this spring. I think the 8' rod with backbone AND a soft tip would be the way to go. I"m not spending money on anything else I don't try. Same goes for jigging rods.

I've heard 20 different things on reels for tiles. Only go with 2 speeds, or make sure it's a high speed..... High ratio, low ratio......

Meat Hunter