NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Opinions on Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Rods - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-24-2016, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Opinions on Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Rods

I'm intrigued by this series.
They are affordable and they seem to be well reviewed when I research them on-line, but I'm not sure if readers from this site have any first hand experience with them.
I was particularly drawn to the Model # BWCJL 220063. A casting style. Says Braided line 5-100 lb Lure wt. 4-7 oz.
Any opinions?
How did you fish these?
Thanks for the replies......
Don
Old 02-24-2016, 12:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Opinions on Ugly Stik Tiger Lite Rods

I had one but I didn't like the handle for some reason. Sold it to one of the guys on this site.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Although I mostly fish higher end St. Croix's, I've had and still use on occasion an Ugly Stick Tiger Rod (BWS 2201). In general, the Ugly Sticks are well made and nearly indestructible. My only complaint is in general they have no backbone for a good hook set. Depending which rod and what you're using it for this may or may not be a concern.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hollywood rods.. They have no back bone like he said. Thing folds in half when you put bait on the hook

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

they are good for lighter stuff, they have a slow long bend w not much backbone but can handle big fish. I have a bunch of them for trolling setups for freshwater, I use them for pulling planer boards and downrigging heavier setups, they bend like a downrigger rod.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have 2 that I use. I"m mainly a freshwater guy, but I fish saltwater at least twice a month. I like them a LOT!!! I have the 2201 with the stainless guides. I'd buy the same model one size up. I think the 2201 is rated for 20 to 50lb. line. Definitely NEED more backbone, but you wont' miss a single bite with that tip. Watch where you buy them from. Some places sell these with aluminum oxide guides. Junk. Tackle Direct has them with stainless guides.

I'm looking at buying one for jigging. Unless someone on here can tell me what they personally use for 10 to 14 oz. jigs for Cod that's better. I used some custom stuff up in Maine, but couldn't tell you what the blank was. My concern is that the Tiger Lite models are very short. 5'10 and 5'8". The rods in Maine were 8' and I always did quite well with them.

The last trip I was on the guys that did catch fish were fishing a lot higher off the bottom. Which reminds me, I have to measure the distance for 1 crank on each of my reels.

Meat Hunter