NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

50 Pounders !!! Striper Report - Johnny Bucktails - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 50 Pounders !!! Striper Report - Johnny Bucktails

Congrats on what looked to be a super fun day of fishing for you and your friends.
some very nice bass caught.

BUT lets also keep it real, looking at the pics which can be deceiving I didn't think any of the pics showed a LEGIT 50, as the MASS required and the head size of the bass just don't show.'after watching the video I would be pretty safe to bet they aren't close to 5o's being let go.
and here's why.

Unless Matt is 7 foot tall I would expect his Belly button ( his measuring spot ) would not be over 40-42 inches from the boat deck,Im 6'3 and mine is 42" . that is NOW WHERE close to what it takes even an unspawned bass to hit the 50 mark.

The pics you show appear to be hudson fish which don't the wide girth of the Chessy bass.
For those fish Normally to hit the 50 mark they are 50" Plus
Chessy fish which are girthier take a little less at around 47"

50 pound fish also aren't held out at arms length as they just want to roll over due to their weight displacement. while many guys can hold a forty that way, I haven't seen 1 yet do that with a 50 plus

they just get very hard to hold. Thats why most pics of big fish don't look as big as they were in person because the pics are usually cradling the fish .

all bass over 30 pounds have giant heads on them and would allow a fish to easily go down to the gullet without touching the sides.

would say you need to get your boga calibrated.

what else I would say is this.

While I was very glad to see you released a bunch of nice bass, watching the video in the manner they were handled was tough to watch .
throwing them around with a bogs on their lip like that is really easy to destroy their jaws.
and only one of those fish really took off as they should, bopping them on the head making them dive too soon just makes the go down , many times to just float up later on .

take the time to swim them or use the SW wash down until they really bite down and also want to swim on their own .
when they go down laying on their side, they are not revived enough to have as good a chance as possible to survive.

They should be swimming and moving their tails on their own.

Hope to see you releasing more big ones again !!

Last edited by hammer4reel; 05-25-2014 at 07:55 PM..
Old 05-25-2014, 08:52 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yea, you have a great rep for catching fish hammer4reel, but, do you really wana be that guy that takes this squad down for an awesome catch? C'mon man!!! I don't know this crew at all but they do catch some serious fish consistently. Give it a rest!!!! Being a critic gets you nowhere!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
Yea, you have a great rep for catching fish hammer4reel, but, do you really wana be that guy that takes this squad down for an awesome catch? C'mon man!!! I don't know this crew at all but they do catch some serious fish consistently. Give it a rest!!!! Being a critic gets you nowhere!!!!!!!

I agreed was an awesome catch,
Even believe they read the scale as those fish being what they think ,
But just feel the pics, and especially the video doesn't back it,

Also after reading all the posts of lets hear what the nay Sayers say now ???
I feel the proofs don't add up.

Just my 2 Cents,
Seen a few good ones to know the difference, and seen enough even high forties to know they all Look huge

Main reason I did post was because IMO those great fish need to be handled with a little more care if being released so they truelly have the best chance of recovery

Last edited by hammer4reel; 05-25-2014 at 09:16 PM..
Old 05-25-2014, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I get your point BROHAM!!! I don't want to take anything from Johnny and his crew. Catch and release was good to see!!! When I got my big girls out of the ER a couple years ago it took at least 10-20 minutes to get em to swim again. But that's a different time of year with a truckload of bait and warm water flowing out of the tribs! All is good!!! Catch em up!!!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:27 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Everyone who said something negative are a bunch of haters point blank... 40lbs 50lbs 60lbs whoooooo the hell cares....!!!! The kid had a great day fishing and all I read is ..." That ain't no 50 that ain't no 50" ohh give it a break and shut up. Seriously guys.....really " shake my head..." Makes me not want to be a part of njfishing.com. Awsome day kid keep up the great work
Old 05-25-2014, 09:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thank you all once again. I understand your opinion but take into consideration that my father is 6'2 230 pounds and strong as an ox. Look at the struggle he had getting my fish into the boat. I have been dealing with you haters for a long time and it all comes down to jealousy. I don't have to prove anything to you. I took the time out of my trip to record it for you guys but i guess some people don't appreciate that. Out of 35 comments, only about 5 were negative, pretty good ratio if you ask me lol P.S the fish is still in the taxidermist if you would like to see it. Seemed like most of you enjoyed the video ! glad to here. Sorry it was half assed, i wanted to put it up asap.
Tight lines -JB
Old 05-25-2014, 09:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bucktails View Post
Thank you all once again. I understand your opinion but take into consideration that my father is 6'2 230 pounds and strong as an ox. Look at the struggle he had getting my fish into the boat. I have been dealing with you haters for a long time and it all comes down to jealousy. I don't have to prove anything to you. I took the time out of my trip to record it for you guys but i guess some people don't appreciate that. Out of 35 comments, only about 5 were negative, pretty good ratio if you ask me lol P.S the fish is still in the taxidermist if you would like to see it. Seemed like most of you enjoyed the video ! glad to here. Sorry it was half assed, i wanted to put it up asap.
Tight lines -JB
That's what I'm talking about dude!!! Stick up for your post!!! You deserve respect without a doubt. I know a phenomenal angler when I see one. Keep on keepin on and don't forget to post your amazing reports!!!!

YEA BUDDY!!!!!! TIGHT LINEZ!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice fish no matter what the weight! Good goin kid!

Saw you as you were leaving on Saturday pm. We were on our way in, passed u in the river as the down deep was trying to dock.

Keep up the great work!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bucktails View Post
Tight lines -JB

Johnny one thing I'm not is a HATER I'm glad to see lots of people catching quality fish .

Actually hope everyone some day gets to catch a monster. Releasing fish is def a good start. Just release them in a way with a little more care so those beauties don't just dive down and become crab bait.

Keep fishing hard ,and have fun
Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Way to do it Johnny. Wish there were a lot more young men out there as passionate about this great sport of ours as you. Way too many young people that spend countless hours in the house with their face planted in a cell phone or video game. It's people like you that can help carry the torch to the next generation and keep our sport alive.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area