NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

LandLocked Salmon - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: LandLocked Salmon

Great pic of the salmon at hatchery, were nice size. I heard this years stocking size was averaging 14 inches which beats previous years planting of 5" to 8" size...Might see some results on holdovers after this years stocking..Most have been stocked however those left at hatchery which is about 200 are going into a small lake in Morris county.. Have no info bout it cept its called Tilcon Lake..Morris county guys can post some data if they have any good stuff..It is a bonus and would be great if they could become part on NJ's list of game fish..Can u imagine how target species would change if Sea Run Browns took and then followed up with a small but steady LL Salmon fishery..Wake me up, must be dreaming....Btw way the stocking of those 200 salmon won't take place till sometime in 2014...Would guess spring stocking would be good time..
Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The salmon stocked so far this year were done in 2 increments. The first when the fish were first acquired in May when they were smaller and the second was on November 21 when they were a little smaller than those now remaining. The salmon currently in the hatchery are getting stocked as soon as the new 2014 fish code regulations go into effect (i.e. making Tilcon a Holdover Trout Lake) - that's all they are waiting for at this point. Tilcon got a few trout fingerlings previously, but it will not be stocked with trout on an ongoing basis making it a salmon specific fishery (along with bass, pickerel and some perch).
Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I do a trip to Areoflex once a year. I have caught landlocks on every trip. Nothing giant, usually in the 12"- 17" range but they are fun. There are nice sized bass and picks there so Lard Almighty might be right.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went up to wawayanda today for a couple hours since it is not too far from my house. man was it cold. No luck with the salmon. all fish were sitting on the bottom @58 ft with lockjaw. water temp was 38!
Saw 2 Bald Eagles, they looked like a nesting pair.

I was also looking at my go to bait shops facebook page and there was a picture of a "football trout" caught at wawayanda. is this a silvery looking brown or a Landlock?? idk who this guy is i just stumbled upon the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7061.JPG
Views:	1272
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	66567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7057.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	66568  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerringKing
I do a trip to Areoflex once a year. I have caught landlocks on every trip. Nothing giant, usually in the 12"- 17" range but they are fun. There are nice sized bass and picks there so Lard Almighty might be right.
What kind of techniques do you guys use to target them? I've never fished for them, but my buddy just bought a house around the corner from Aeroflex, so it may happen eventually.

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Herring King: You did well to catch LL Salmon as often as u did..As for size my guess is these fish are holding over in Aeroflex, probably only 5 or 6 inches when stocked..That could be good sign..... Birdman that pic is a really nice Brown trout. LL salmon have a slight fork in tail, otherwise can be a little tough to tell Browns and salmon apart till u catch a few....By the way do u know where that Brownie was caught??------As far as tactics for LL Salmon: I'd suggest keep it simple.. To start fish the cooler months to start as early in spring as possible..They'll be on surface then, If u have motor slow troll using small spoons, spinners, small stick baits, and try streamers and sweep troll at least one rod...Drifting small live bait or slow troll small minnows will work, Probe deeper as water warms..Only problem I can see is that Wayway and Aeroflex get pounded. Plus landlocks not a very hardy fish mite be tough for a large number of them to hold over..
Old 12-09-2013, 12:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk City
What kind of techniques do you guys use to target them? I've never fished for them, but my buddy just bought a house around the corner from Aeroflex, so it may happen eventually.

I do best at dusk and dawn trolling rapalas 2-4" under the surface. During the day set the fish finder to find the thermocline, then send a herring or shiner down to that depth. I've only caught 1 LL on bait and it was during the day. Every other was caught real early or late on raps
Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyStick
The salmon stocked so far this year were done in 2 increments. The first when the fish were first acquired in May when they were smaller and the second was on November 21 when they were a little smaller than those now remaining. The salmon currently in the hatchery are getting stocked as soon as the new 2014 fish code regulations go into effect (i.e. making Tilcon a Holdover Trout Lake) - that's all they are waiting for at this point. Tilcon got a few trout fingerlings previously, but it will not be stocked with trout on an ongoing basis making it a salmon specific fishery (along with bass, pickerel and some perch).

Welcome to the ruining of another great fishery. It was nice while it lasted.

God forbid us bass guys get anything good in NJ to ourselves. Gotta shove ****ing trout in everything and everywhere.

Any word on stocking bass anywhere? Nope. Just more goddamn trout.

Last edited by ChaosStarter; 12-09-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 01:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Coming back here from the Finger Lakes I thought Round Valley would be the best place to stock LL's it being deep and cold. Quess theres more to it then that.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerringKing
I do best at dusk and dawn trolling rapalas 2-4" under the surface. During the day set the fish finder to find the thermocline, then send a herring or shiner down to that depth. I've only caught 1 LL on bait and it was during the day. Every other was caught real early or late on raps
Fishing sawbellies under lanterns works.
Closed Thread