NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Still amazed at what fish strike - many you can make yourself! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 01-08-2022, 11:39 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Still amazed at what fish strike - many you can make yourself!

I started out tying my own bass jigs and spinnerbaits and hair jigs and then began pouring soft plastic lures about 10 yrs. ago. What I learned from catching fish on so many different lures - even on the same outing - still amazes me today.

It's not that I'll never work large surface lures like the Spook or poppers, not cast 3/8 oz skirted jig with trailers or crankbaits, but small plastics have dominated what I use anymore - especially those I pour or modify. Maybe it's because of the variety of those lures that catch almost any fish species of all sizes. I get bored catching fish on the same lures day after day.

Pouring lures is easy. A microwave, pyrex cup and a mold are all that's needed. But still, how single-design/ size can I cast that I won't tire of. Modification is the cure! Casting both kinds of lures to see what they catch is something I'll never tire of doing. Here are a few:
This large crappie hooked itself attacking this 4" swimbait:

perch and a 2.5 lb bass hit this bright white mini-stick caught in the same water:

Never discount clear plastic lures of any kind like this clear stick crappie and sunnie:

Bright chartreuse does well any time:

When it comes to modifying soft plastic lures, all you need is a candle, a steady hand and an imagination (or copy what you see).
These are fin tails from one lure added to a segment of a plastic stick:

Last edited by senkosam; 01-08-2022 at 11:56 AM..
Old 01-08-2022, 11:59 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Still amazed at what fish strike - many you can make yourself!

to continue:

Another fin tail example:

This Joker Grub tail was added to a segment of plastic worm:

Note: three species - same lure on the same day and in different colors randomly chosen.

Let's not forget claws from craw plastics:

Last edited by senkosam; 01-08-2022 at 12:09 PM..
Old 01-08-2022, 12:22 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Gary Y invented the Kut Tail Worm which I added to another plastic worm segment. When rigged on a light jig head, the action is amazing in shallow water. Even the little guy couldn't resist nor the sunfish:

Right from the package it also does well:
Old 01-08-2022, 08:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Some plastics I found just work too well for me to even care about modifying them. Ned rigs for example. It doesnt help that i already bought a bunch in one-color that i still need to use up lol.

I did notice the simpler the plastic the more effective it would be.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Re: Still amazed at what fish strike - many you can make yourself!

Now I don't have to go to NYB to see one of your questions or a new creation. lol

Welcome aboard.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

This is great stuff! It's so amazing that people continue to innovate with soft plastics despite how saturated the market is with them. I look forward to seeing more reports about your home-made plastics!
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 01-09-2022, 01:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Still amazed at what fish strike - many you can make yourself!

Stuff looks great man, and it catches fish. What a bonus! Thanks for sharing your creativity here. Pretty awesome!
Old 01-09-2022, 02:32 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

These nichrome wire tools are sold for many uses .
One used to be marketed as the wormizer.

They work great to remelt hook holes as well as make custom baits .

Always had one in my bass box .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6DE85C56-9667-4656-9EEB-0C4D0601515F.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	155712  

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 01-10-2022, 05:39 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I too have hundreds of lures of all kinds stored and it seems that once I've caught fish with them it's time to buy more. FORGET THAT! I found some old blogs I posted some soft plastic mods on in 2004 and must have been modifying even before that time beginning with replacing jig and spinnerbait skirts with different colored skirts.

The thing about modifying or making your own is learning new truths and unlearning untruths. For example: match the hatch
The more lure types you catch fish on in the same day, the more the expression doesn't hold water. Ditto for colors and sizes. Years ago I read every article about catching fish and still own Keith Jones book, Knowing Bass that goes into detail about fish senses. I've found correlations to much of it as to possibly why fish strike certain lures while not provoked to strike others.

The above photos indicate certain undeniable truths that will not change anytime in the future such as:
panfish strike mini-sticks

bright white and other fluorescent colors get bit (I'm assuming it's because fish are annoyed by flashy dressers LOL)

the Joker tri-tail also gets bit as does the Kut Tail worm - hybrid or unmodified' along with fishtail and claw-tail mods.

many colors work on the same day with different lure types

All of this brings me to the words preference and like. You and I have preferences when it comes to lures and tackle in general; we also like or dislike the same. But do fish prefer or like some lures and not others? My point is this: fish simply react to some lures (for whatever reason) and do not react to others - or at least not as often. When fish don't strike certain lures, much of the time it comes down to the lure's size and action or the wrong presentation for that lure.

The cool thing about the lures shown is that the retrieve can be the same for all, but the action is different for each because of differences in shape, size and plastic softness.

Last edited by senkosam; 01-10-2022 at 08:22 PM..