NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Long Branch Fishing Pier - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New Long Branch Fishing Pier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togfather2530 View Post
Living in the past reminiscing, I get it. The fishing isn’t comparable today.
You cant' steal my memories . Fished it in the Fifties with grand pop and my dad.Roy's smoke house .Give them a hundred and they give you fifty smoked!

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 03-03-2024, 11:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

As many fish as recreational anglers kept, which was significant, it didn't put a dent in the fishery. Every year the biomass was solid. Reason being whiting and ling were primarily an inshore winter fishery with some bottom fishing boats targeting them during the summer in deeper water. Both stocks had tremendous spawning strength. As soon as foreign factory ships and domestic small mesh netters targeted them, both stocks virtually disappeared in a few years, something no one ever thought possible. Shows just how destructive commercial netting can be when there's no boundaries or closed seasons.

Last edited by Broad Bill; 03-03-2024 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-03-2024, 07:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Good thread and information from everyone. Thanks
Old 03-03-2024, 10:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal View Post
You cant' steal my memories . Fished it in the Fifties with grand pop and my dad.Roy's smoke house .Give them a hundred and they give you fifty smoked!
With the sad state of today's whiting fishery, if you give them one today they'll give you back half a smoked fillet. Hammer those pictures on your post sure do bring back great memories. And they're some beautiful baseball bat sized whiting. Your dog looks ready to chow down! It wouldn't take much, in my humble opinion, to re-establish that fishery but the fishery needs to be managed for it to happen. Won't happen by itself. Plus the economic impacts to commercials, party boats, for hire and recreational angler spending would be significant.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
No doubt , have seen miles of floaters there on trips coming back from offshore .
And some times they aren’t all tiny fish .
I've witnessed the same too many times. We'd stop and net a five gallon bucket in 15 minutes of the spikes to use for yellow fin and bigeyes on the way out. It brought a tear to my eye seeing literally thousands upon thousands of dead juveniles floating on the surface with a fair share as you mentioned of mediums and some jumbos mixed in. The regulations I believe allow it and if so the only thing that'll change it are changes to the regulations. It's madness, it really is.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
With the sad state of today's whiting fishery, if you give them one today they'll give you back half a smoked fillet. Hammer those pictures on your post sure do bring back great memories. And they're some beautiful baseball bat sized whiting. Your dog looks ready to chow down! It wouldn't take much, in my humble opinion, to re-establish that fishery but the fishery needs to be managed for it to happen. Won't happen by itself. Plus the economic impacts to commercials, party boats, for hire and recreational angler spending would be significant.
The part no one will want to believe is those whiting were caught in the first week of May , not the typical time they were fished for .

Seems ling fishery that also was a favorite wintertime fishery even only back 12 years or so is also a much better spring fishery now

All the talk of everything moving north doesn’t fit that timeline .

So next question is why such a shift of seasons .
Is it because they are here more than we think ? And actually left alone by the commercial guys who are usually targeting a different species then .

And is the amount of ling and whiting around in May, June really why the giants have been back here at that same time frame .

If no one targets them , no one knows they are there !

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-04-2024, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I've hammered cod in April and May on the SRR. Depending on what's coming out of the Hudson will have substantial impact on water temps in the hole. These fish have such tremendous reproductive strength if they're given a chance the stock will rebuild. And if there's ling, cod and whiting in the MH area, giants and mediums will be sure to follow. That's the way it was for decades, don't see it being any different today if the regulations took some pressure off the stock commercially.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just an FYI, I'm very concerned you and I are starting to agree on things. JK of course. We're in lock step on this thread.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Bill View Post
Just an FYI, I'm very concerned you and I are starting to agree on things. JK of course. We're in lock step on this thread.
Glad to see you finally coming around lol

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-04-2024, 11:17 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sal View Post
Back in those days it was great, two dollars got you admission to the pier plus they supplied the bait, people bunked out for the weekend sleeping bags and all, good life