NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New to the message board! - Questions about stripers in the Delaware. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-16-2021, 02:51 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default New to the message board! - Questions about stripers in the Delaware.

Hey everyone I’ve been viewing this message board for a few months now and decided to finally make a username and post! I’ve been trout fishing since a kid and bought an aluminum boat with a 9.9 last season and haven’t looked back. I fish a lot in Merrill Creek, Oxford Furnace the Delaware and other surrounding areas. (Just a little about me don’t want to go on too much lol)

With that being said I would like to expand and learn more about the River because I don’t seem to have any luck when I head out there. I want to catch some stripers! I’m hearing that they are in the Delaware River around now and chasing the shad up. I heard cut baits like blue gill, bunker, trout amongst other things like clams and squid are go-to’s. Can anyone chime in and give some advice ? Plan to get out on the water this upcoming weekend. (Just left Merrill creek about an hr ago and struck out lol.)

Thanks for any advice that anyone can bring I grately appreciate it.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New to the message board! - Questions about stripers in the Delaware.

I'm no expert by any means but i have caught stripers in the delavare. I've only caught them on lures (swim shads and plugs). Look for current breaks and eddies as well as current seams. Also, any deep pockets. You may need to fish into the night as i'm sure with the warmer weather the daytime river usage will amp up.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: New to the message board! - Questions about stripers in the Delaware.

Night time is the right time! Shad chunks, eels, Herring, live bait, dead bait, Trout and plugs. Welcome to the board man! Look forward to seeing your reports!
Old 05-16-2021, 08:10 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: New to the message board! - Questions about stripers in the Delaware.

Welcome to the board A friend of mine from work been retired for 15 years now next door neighbor where the Lacawaxon meets the Delaware in PA live lines at nite Rainbow trout he keeps in an aroator that he caught and catches 30 and 40lb Stripers up their and yet Trout unlimited was complaining about PA and Jersey wanting too put Salmon in the Delaware that will be another story
Old 05-17-2021, 09:01 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Thank you everyone so much for the feedback ! I will definitely be heading out this weekend and will let be posting on how it goes.