NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Blackfish jig setup - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Blackfish jig setup

I've seen several people using the Trevala spinners. They come in all different line ratings so I would be using the lighter ones.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-24-2016, 05:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yeah ill give it another shot with that rod then make up my mind if i want get one just for jigging for tog.

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Heard Joe had his 13 on a 701L black hole.
like to hear how he felt the rod handled that fish. Thats the rod im really thinking about getting built just for jigging tog

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 12-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
Heard Joe had his 13 on a 701L black hole.
like to hear how he felt the rod handled that fish. Thats the rod im really thinking about getting built just for jigging tog
I watched the whole thing Dan... Gave Joe a 20 minute time out for high sticking Man did he really did high stick that fish until he felt it was up and out of the reef and started swimming.

I got the one up from him based on his suggestion (s731m) so a bit heavier. He has both and said if he could only buy one, he'd buy the m.

Hard to tell if it was the right choice or not since I'm such a hack. I will say it is sensitive enough to feel a 1/2 or 3/4 ounce jig hit the bottom... I've also fished it with a 4 ounces and it still felt good.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 12-28-2016, 01:37 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foul Hook View Post
I'm looking as well for a setup. I just don't know if I want to spend that kind of money. anyone got a recommendation for a cheaper setup?

I'm sure there's other cheaper rods that can do the same...just look around, doubt you will get a answer here since these guys like $300 rods.lol
Old 12-29-2016, 12:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What is theprice range you're looking to spend. I just grabbed a Penn battalion 815S76 to use for tog jigging and fluking, can fish a 1/2-3oz jig with sweet spot from 3/4-2oz. Cost $120 and can't wait to get the line wet. Definitely an upgrade to the st. Croix I was uusing.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellfishy View Post
What is theprice range you're looking to spend. I just grabbed a Penn battalion 815S76 to use for tog jigging and fluking, can fish a 1/2-3oz jig with sweet spot from 3/4-2oz. Cost $120 and can't wait to get the line wet. Definitely an upgrade to the st. Croix I was uusing.
The specs sound ideal.... Only thing missing in MHO is a longer fore grip. It's important to get a good lift and keep constant pressure when you hook up to keep the fish from going back in the wreck and keep him on the hook. A longer fore grip helps since you can place your hand way out in front of the reel and get better leverage and keep a good bend in the pole throughout the fight.

It's the same reason offshore jigging rods come equipped with longer fore grips.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-29-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellfishy View Post
Battalions are great rods, not so sure the 8/15 is going to have the backbone for big tog.
I fish the 12/20 and the 15/30 for fluke and they have alot of backbone, but your not going to turn a big tog with them easily.

Gerry I fish the M, black hole and its a nice rod, but after jigging with a 701L it just felt I could really feel the lighter jigs better, but was also wondering if it had the backbone for big tog also.

hearing Joey had to high stick a big one on it has me wondering now, but im still going to build one for light jigs fluking

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I'm using my st.croix legend elite 7'1" rated for line 12-20, 1/4-3/4oz weighing 5.5oz & an Abu Garcia revo rocket bait caster 37" retrieve 20lb drag weighing 6.75. This set up is superlight as you can see its under a pound. Got my PB at 8.2lbs, bunch of 5lbs and I feel everything with this setup, jig up to 2oz max. The rod has a good backbone and the reel I've put a powerhandle on it, the one thing I wish the rod has was a longer grip on top for better leverage. It's a fun set up for togging
Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
The specs sound ideal.... Only thing missing in MHO is a longer fore grip. It's important to get a good lift and keep constant pressure when you hook up to keep the fish from going back in the wreck and keep him on the hook. A longer fore grip helps since you can place your hand way out in front of the reel and get better leverage and keep a good bend in the pole throughout the fight.

It's the same reason offshore jigging rods come equipped with longer fore grips.
The foregrip may not be too long but the butt is long enough to tuck under the arm for the fight. And Dan I agree it may not be easy to turn a big tog but lets face it, its not easy to turn a big tog. Other rods are certainly more ideal, but I can lift my coffee table so we shall see what it can do. I wanted to be able to fish from light to heavy jigs so short of a custom or more perfect, its what ill try for now and will be able to use for plenty of other applications.

Also had I had the option to try out different/more sizes I may have chosen a different setup, but I was working off gift card money lol.

Last edited by Ismellfishy; 12-30-2016 at 12:22 AM..