NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Who makes the best custom rods - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-14-2016, 11:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Who makes the best custom rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman120 View Post
Where did I put down his work? Don't care how nice or how junky it may be, fact is if you're gonna get a custom rod then it should be from someone who knows the fishery firsthand. Illinois is really far from Jersey.
A great rod builder doesn't need to be local to the fishery the customer is in... they understand and can build rods for all situations and species... besides, this topic was about custom rods and if someone is shopping for a custom rod, they most likely already understand what they want very specifically and want it made on the best blank and with the best craftsmanship to their specifications... otherwise they would be asking for "rod" recommendations...

My seabass, blackfish and musky rods are perfect examples of this... there are no off the shelf offerings of what I wanted and Jim Grandt was the only one that could give me super high modulus graphite rods that met all of my specifications. Mike Garone is an excellent rod builder who produces an excellent product that a number of my friends are happy with. That said... I have fished many different rods (including NJ builders) and I can choose any rod I want and I choose Grandt for a reason... Give them a look and talk to Jim Grandt before you buy... that's all I'm saying...
Old 07-15-2016, 01:18 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I'll have to check out garones work.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyStick View Post
A great rod builder doesn't need to be local to the fishery the customer is in... they understand and can build rods for all situations and species... besides, this topic was about custom rods and if someone is shopping for a custom rod, they most likely already understand what they want very specifically and want it made on the best blank and with the best craftsmanship to their specifications... otherwise they would be asking for "rod" recommendations...

My seabass, blackfish and musky rods are perfect examples of this... there are no off the shelf offerings of what I wanted and Jim Grandt was the only one that could give me super high modulus graphite rods that met all of my specifications. Mike Garone is an excellent rod builder who produces an excellent product that a number of my friends are happy with. That said... I have fished many different rods (including NJ builders) and I can choose any rod I want and I choose Grandt for a reason... Give them a look and talk to Jim Grandt before you buy... that's all I'm saying...

I couldn't care less what you choose. Get a rod from Russia, don't matter to me. If somebody doesn't know builders well then he likely too needs help with picking a blank which most custom rod customers probably need help with anyways with all the options there are. Asking a guy from Illinois to choose a blank for a fishery 1000 miles away is outright silly. I gave my recommendation, didn't bad talk or trash anything, just stated the truth.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you are leaning toward Garone,you can't go wrong. Bogan is also a great product. Mike has rods he sells on his facebook page often. They are used and only certain makes, but if your not in a rush you may come across something you want at half price.
Good luck.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman120 View Post
I couldn't care less what you choose. Get a rod from Russia, don't matter to me. If somebody doesn't know builders well then he likely too needs help with picking a blank which most custom rod customers probably need help with anyways with all the options there are. Asking a guy from Illinois to choose a blank for a fishery 1000 miles away is outright silly. I gave my recommendation, didn't bad talk or trash anything, just stated the truth.
Although I can see your point in certain contexts, I don't think it applies to Grandt. Allow me to elaborate...

Most rod builders are really just rod assemblers using all outsourced components (including imported blanks) and giving them fancy wraps like one would find in Dale Clemens Rod Art book. Grandt Industries on the other hand is truly a manufacturer. Jim Grandt was a lead designer for the Heddon Rod Company in the late 70s and then went on to start his own company in addition to winning numerous rod building competitions. Grandt designs and manufactures (all in their own factory in the US) their own rod blanks and finished rods in addition to working with numerous suppliers in the design of the other components. In fact, they make private label rods for 71 different companies and are the largest manufacturer of rods made in the US. Their expertise includes composites, carbon (graphite, etc) and even Split Bamboo. In addition to using the finest materials, all of their rods series, including customs, are also covered by a lifetime warranty.

With credentials like that, it's hard not to agree that they are more than qualified to help with blank selection and option choices for any fishery worldwide.

Last edited by UglyStick; 07-15-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have three Bogan rods and have nothing but good things to say about them.
I also have a rod from a guy on Long Island who unfortunately is a non sponsor so I won't mention his name out of a sense of fairness to Mr Z.
A little effort and you can find his name.

For a few bucks more than that store bought, you get your colors, your name and the work of local craftsmen not an Asian factory.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Jersey Coast builds a great rod(JerseyJigger)...I have 2-acid wrapped....Doubt if there is a "best"...If they're mentioned, most likely they are much better than just good!!!
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 07-15-2016, 08:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I own many custom rods Mike Garone makes a great rod so does Bogan. I also owned a Grandt rod he makes a great rod with beautiful wraps as well. But whatever Grandt does so can Garone & Bogan as well. It all goes on what you want to spend & personal preference. Mike is a member of the NERBS they are the finest rod builders in the world. I had a few rods built buy a few of them as well. The more detail to your rods the higher the cost for the artwork. I love Mike's feather in lay work & I know Grandt does great feather work as well but my opinion is Mike's just a tad above his & it's how he mix's his color patterns that make's the difference to me Plus our guys fish our waters know our needs & know the correct parabolic bend for each species the rods are being designed for. Plus I also don't think I want somebody from Illinois building me a Blackfish rod.

Last edited by Blackfish Doug; 07-16-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Old 07-15-2016, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wow! No fights yet, this is a smooth thread so far, I'm happily surprised. My .02 cents, you need to feel what your getting... I have had a NS mentioned ultra light for years, till I had a head on collision and rolled my van with numerous other rods In a rack Inside on the roof and my ul baby got beat up bad- it was the ns Rod - went to the next show they had here and told them what happened... Got a "take you pick of what you want" answer, no ?s asked - great company and I like their selection off the rack so to speak, have many custom Kevin Bogan rods and some off the rack fish poison rods, love them uber much as well!!! Got a super tog from Garrone and its gosh darn awesome as well, to me it's the feel of the rod action when you have it in your hands! It's not who is the best here, it's who has the right blank at the time you're looking for something, wrapping is not too difficult, it's the art involved in finishing the blank you chose for the action you want, it's not the end that's important to me it's the beginning you should be looking at- the feel- don't forget Yong at Jigging world as well, have an acid wrap ghost hunter from him that I would inflict bodily injury to someone if the messed that up as well, my Rec is stay local and find the right blank you're looking for and go from there, Garrone and Bogan are local and sponsors here, talk to them first and tell us how your first day of school was, I remember mine!
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 07-15-2016, 11:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm not going to name anyone in particular, but maybe what should be asked here is WHAT makes a good rod builder over another? Blank selection, experience using them for the target species your after, design, fit'N'finish, price, etc etc etc...