NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Belmar rig - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Belmar rig

The hook hangs below the sinker on a Belmar Rig. The perfection loop end of your snelled hook is attached to the surgeons' loop that your sinker attaches to.

The perfection snelled hook is attached above the weight, but hangs below the sinker.

There are tricks to make the hook stand perfect on the bottom, in the right direction.

A 2 hook snafu blackfish rig is not a Belmar rig, although the most common. I use a one hook (Belmar) rig.

Meat Hunter........ "Get on the MEAT, Stay on the MEAT!!! Fry the MEAT!!!"
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How i was shown or whatever is you attach your top shot to your main line. Run out how ever much you want then tie a large surgeons loop or perfection whatever you like. Put your weight on the loop and go up the line to where you want it and pinch the loop and feed the snelled hook through then tie a over hand knot to lock it down. Weight on bottom and the hook tied above it

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Last 12 to 18 inches of your mono top shot is doubled with a double overhand knot at the top. Now you have a double mono loop that is 12 to 18 inches long.

Run the end of the double loop through the sinker eye and over the sinker to secure it at the bottom of the loop....

4 or so inches above the sinker make a loop out of the doubled line and take your pre snelled hook loop and slide it over the double line loop and run the hook and leader through the loop...

Secure the hook loop from siding up and down the double leader by tying a double overhand knot over it.

The hook should always hang below the sinker to reduce the risk of your bait getting tangled up on you leader. Stiff leader is best for the hook snell since the stiffness will also help keep your bait from tangling back on the leader.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Last 12 to 18 inches of your mono top shot is doubled with a double overhand knot at the top. Now you have a double mono loop that is 12 to 18 inches long.

Run the end of the double loop through the sinker eye and over the sinker to secure it at the bottom of the loop....

4 or so inches above the sinker make a loop out of the doubled line and take your pre snelled hook loop and slide it over the double line loop and run the hook and leader through the loop...

Secure the hook loop from siding up and down the double leader by tying a double overhand knot over it.

The hook should always hang below the sinker to reduce the risk of your bait getting tangled up on you leader. Stiff leader is best for the hook snell since the stiffness will also help keep your bait from tangling back on the leader.

Thank you! I think I got it now. I had some spare time this afternoon and decided to use my imagination Is this how it supposed to look?

Tie alberto knot to connect 24-36 inches mono leader to main line. Fold the mono leader in half and tie a double overhand knot.

Below overhand knot, There is 12-18 inches ‘double lined’ mono leader with sinker attached to the end.

4 inches above the sinker loop, use loop-loop connection to attach snelled hook.

Tie an overhand knot over the loop-loop connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B12C131-BEE0-494D-AAAA-0A057FCB2BFF.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	128194  
Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM
NJFishing.com Member

That's the way I vision it.
Not sure why the double line?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Probably abrasion ! Don’t need it if u install dropper loop on TS and just loop snell to it !
We wreck fish locally but in other locations it’s mainly reef n rock , so double line helps locally
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknrolla View Post
Thank you! I think I got it now. I had some spare time this afternoon and decided to use my imagination Is this how it supposed to look?

Tie alberto knot to connect 24-36 inches mono leader to main line. Fold the mono leader in half and tie a double overhand knot.

Below overhand knot, There is 12-18 inches ‘double lined’ mono leader with sinker attached to the end.

4 inches above the sinker loop, use loop-loop connection to attach snelled hook.

Tie an overhand knot over the loop-loop connection.
You got it Rockn and yes the line is doubled to avoid abrasion. Only thing I would suggest you do is use more then a 36 inch piece of mono to start... I use 10 feet or so... The advantage of a longer leader/top shot is when you eventually break off a rig, it's usually at the hook or sinker... Now you have the rest of that mono to tie another rig and you don't have to tie another Alberto knot to join the braid to a new piece of mono... This helps you get back in the water faster and when it's really cold you don't have to tie as many knots.

Lots of variations to this rig and here's a few....

1) You can put a 2nd hook on your snell called a slider... You don't tie this hook, it's meant to slide up and down the hook leader and you can either run 2 hooks through the same crab or a crab on each...

2) Rather then double the last 18 inches you can use one line.... Tie a dropper loop in it for your snell, 4 inches below it a perfection loop for your sinker. Some guys tie one simple overhand knot between the dropper loop and sinker... The theory here is that a single overhand knot weakens the line between the hook and sinker... You hook a fish and the sinker is snagged the sinker breaks away and your still have your hook in the fish.

All this talk about Blackfish is giving me the itch....

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-19-2018, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
You got it Rockn and yes the line is doubled to avoid abrasion. Only thing I would suggest you do is use more then a 36 inch piece of mono to start... I use 10 feet or so... The advantage of a longer leader/top shot is when you eventually break off a rig, it's usually at the hook or sinker... Now you have the rest of that mono to tie another rig and you don't have to tie another Alberto knot to join the braid to a new piece of mono... This helps you get back in the water faster and when it's really cold you don't have to tie as many knots.

Lots of variations to this rig and here's a few....

1) You can put a 2nd hook on your snell called a slider... You don't tie this hook, it's meant to slide up and down the hook leader and you can either run 2 hooks through the same crab or a crab on each...

2) Rather then double the last 18 inches you can use one line.... Tie a dropper loop in it for your snell, 4 inches below it a perfection loop for your sinker. Some guys tie one simple overhand knot between the dropper loop and sinker... The theory here is that a single overhand knot weakens the line between the hook and sinker... You hook a fish and the sinker is snagged the sinker breaks away and your still have your hook in the fish.

All this talk about Blackfish is giving me the itch....

You get an itch to watch Joey catch fish lol

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
You get an itch to watch Joey catch fish lol
It sure is entertainment.... Joe is wrapped pretty tight to begin with and he does get extra serious and edgy when it comes to Blackfishing... He really gets riled up when he or someone misses a fish, drops a 10 ounce sinker on the deck or when we throw empty beer cans at his feet

All kidding aside, we're so different but I love him like a brother.....

(Don't say anything but Mom found him when he was an infant...He was laying in crab tote next to a green boat in Point drinking a Mountain Dew bottle) PMP!!

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 09-19-2018 at 05:04 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 09:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
It sure is entertainment.... Joe is wrapped pretty tight to begin with and he does get extra serious and edgy when it comes to Blackfishing... He really gets riled up when he or someone misses a fish, drops a 10 ounce sinker on the deck or when we throw empty beer cans at his feet

All kidding aside, we're so different but I love him like a brother.....

(Don't say anything but Mom found him when he was an infant...He was laying in crab tote next to a green boat in Point drinking a Mountain Dew bottle) PMP!!
Thats some funny sh/t right there lol

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club