NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tilefish reel recommendation - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 04-25-2014, 02:58 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Tilefish reel recommendation

Greetings! I've developed a love for tilefishing. My current setup is a Penn Fathom 40 loaded with 50lb PowerPro on a Shimano Blue Water Heavy. I love the setup, but I don't know if this is the best reel for the task. So I'm thinking of getting something that might make life a little easier at 800+ feet. Any recommendations or is what I have fine? Budget is $300 or so, manual reel.

D
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tilefish reel recommendation

Dave from Reel Seat is who you should get in touch with. He has a Fin Nor high torque my buddy bought that does a great job in that price range.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think you can either go with a 2spd or single in lower gear ratio, somewhere in the 4:1 range. 6:1 gear might work when bringing up weight with no fish, but to me, even that gets a bit tiring when doing it all day. So I'd recommend something with lower gear ratio and enough line capacity such as maxel osl10 or Avet JX or HX with lower ratio.

I have used accurate bx2-500 with 3:1 low and 6:1 high ratio and wanted to have a gear ratio in between, so got a JX with 4.6 ratio and felt it worked fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aduma1107 View Post
Dave from Reel Seat is who you should get in touch with.
+1 Dave is the man to talk to about tilefishing rods/reels & rigs.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Reel Seat is the place to visit. Single speed, 4.0 to 4.5 ratio has worked for me. I use a Penn Baja and JM PE8. Dave carries the Fin Nor as mentioned already, and also the Maxel Ocean Max for a little more than your limit. Bring your current rod down to compare to the rods he carries too. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for all the great responses, I appreciate that! Looking forward to picking up some new schtuff.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:28 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What do you guys think of the Okunma Makaira MK-15II SEa loaded w/ 50lb flat hollow for tile fishing?

This reel will also be used for other deep drops trips & possibly jigging for tuna (e.g., Yankee Capts out of Key West, Mid range trips out of San Diego CA etc). I like to two speed option incase I'm lucky enough to hook into a tuna.

Honestly the Makaira is a little pricey for me so I'm also considering the Penn Baja for price, durability and ease of servicing. One downside is I'll lose that low gear.

What are your opinions of the Makaira vs the Baja? I'm also considering the Ocean Max.

Thanks!
JD
Old 12-18-2014, 03:34 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There is an aftermarket low gear set for the Penn fathom should you decide to go that route. I have one in my fathom 12
Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I have been using a Penn Baja Special loaded with 50# masterbraid and am happy with it. It is one of the taller reels so not so good for smaller hands. This year I'm going to a Maxel 09 or 10 for my primary. But, I would ask Dave too.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would not go with the Mak 15. Too wide and also heavy. Great reel for chunking and lite trolling but not a good choice for jigging or tiles. I would go with the maxel.