NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Pick the best kayak - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-23-2014, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Pick the best kayak

If you had to choose one kayak to fish from, mainly freshwater river and small lake fishing or an occasional back bay type deal, what would you choose? I'm 60 years old, 6'2" and 260lbs. I like comfort, so I'm looking at these yaks with recliners in them. What's your opinion?
Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Pick the best kayak

I am biased towards the Hobie Mirage drive kayaks. For your dimensions and specifically for river and small lakes you want a slightly shorter but wider kayak. Can't go wrong with the Hobie Outback. I have a Hobie Mirage Revolution 13 and the extra length is noticeable in the bay and larger lakes (helps keep up your speed with slightly less effort).

I also have fished my Revo13 in slow moving rivers as well as lakes up in North Jersey. Only complaint i have in the lakes is the Mirage drive tends to catch some grass in it and be a pain in very shallow grassy water. Keep in mind you always have the option to leave the drive in your car or front hatch and put the plug in the boat and paddle traditionally.

Best of luck.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 10-26-2014, 08:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I reccomend something with a motor
Old 10-27-2014, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Being that your a big buy like myself make sure it is wide and has a high weight capacity. The revo 13 only has a capacity of 350lbs wich wont work for you. With all your gear you will become a water plow. And its base price starts at $2,300.00. Mirage drives are nice though. Im a big guy (350 lbs) and after a long search and listening to guys try to cram me into their brand yak at the yak shows i found someone who told me plain and simple, your big ass needs a wide stable kayak! So i ended up goin with an ocean kayak prowler big game 2. I love it, best thing I ever bought. Great comfy multi position seat, 600 lb weight capacity, 34" wide, 12' 9" long, 70 lbs, battery bag in hull, transducer scupper, 6 mounting brackets,and base price was $1,299.00. I suggest getting a rudder also. The thing is a fishing machine and I can't imagine ever falling out of it. Very stable and comfortable. I also looked at the Old Town Preditor MX and the wildernes systems ride 115xwich both were nice and had high stated weight capacities but the guy I ended up dealing with (Paddlers cove) told me that their weight caps were inflated a bit. I also fell in love with the hobie mirage pro angler 14 at first. But after thinking about it I realised I already have a bass boat! And costing almost $2,000.00 more and at twice the weight I went with the Big game 2. Hope this helps, good luck. Yak fishing is the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140930_084446 (1).jpg
Views:	288
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	77266  
Old 10-27-2014, 03:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice looking rig. How's that seat feel in the high position. Are your knees liking it with the elevation? How shallow does it float?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I prefer it in the low position but it is comfortable in the high one too. My big ass has had it in 1' of water with no problem. You being lighter would have no problem in almost any shallow water. It's widness realy makes it stabile, especially when fighting a larger fish. They can realy drag you around. Takes minutes to attatch track systems to the brackets to so you can get rod holders in the right spots. All my rod holders, sonar/gps, cell phone holder, camera, lights, ect mount to ram balls mounted on tracks and come off when im done fishing. Check on Craigs list over the winter to see if you can find a good deal. I've been hooked on it since I bought it. Probably made it out 30 to 40 times since I got it in April. Unfortunatly I didn't make it down the shore with it yet. But I will next year.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Hobie outback I mentioned earlier is 400lb capacity. If you are looking for more than 400lb capacity your market is very limited. Are you planning on carrying over 100lbs of gear? If so you don't have many choices and should definitely consider XXLyackattacker's recommendation. Ocean Kayaks are very reputable and have been used by kayak fishermen for a very long time. If you still want to have a peddle drive.... Hobie and Native are top notch. I think native have 500lb & 600lb capacity yaks, but then you are entering proangler territory and those kayaks are heavy BOATS.

Good luck on your decision.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfmWzP_FSqk

my buddy has 2 we fish alot out of they are great

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 10-29-2014, 05:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Have a prowler 13 and a outback. Like them both,use prowler little more better for me in shallow water,use the outback on windy days do like the hands free for fishing. Did JB tourt few years ago,windy as hell didnt even get to fish with a the paddling,guy in hobie crusing by chowing on sandwich,fishing with other.next week bought a outback,my outback never saw water this year.prowler is easier to handle and load. Bottom line big boys need more room. My vote for big game
Old 10-29-2014, 05:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer4reel View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfmWzP_FSqk

my buddy has 2 we fish alot out of they are great
Dan
That thing looks great.