NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

50 people at $75 each = $3750 20% of $3750 is $750--not $900. So each mate would make $375 in dollars in tips. A good days pay indeed. But you continue to miss the point of the original post which is all the work done by the mates besides the actual fishing time. Furthermore, if you think mates are $375 a day very often you ARE out of the loop. There are many days when boats sail with 10-12 people and the mates are hoping to make $50 to split.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would prefer to have a guy tip me 40 bucks on a 500 dollar pool than a 20 tip from a family of 5 or 6..
Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
I would prefer to have a guy tip me 40 bucks on a 500 dollar pool than a 20 tip from a family of 5 or 6..
i heard yo like to tip while filleting.....

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr711
i heard yo like to tip while filleting.....

only way to do it son!!!! you know dat dere boy has a sign on his back to break his balls. hahaha that and if i waited around for fish i would be there another hour with all dem dere fish we catch.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimit
So how much is enough for a $300 pool?
Split it 50/50....on much smaller pools, I'll take my contribution and the mates get the rest, but that's just me.....
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If the mate is busy filleting just shove your tip right in his front pants pocket. Some guys won't even mind that you only gave them a buck and others will want you to push it in deeper.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Can we change the thread start post?? It would bring a lot less anger in from the get go if it read "why we Do!! tip mates" if the average angler got one, more power to em, but there is that unknown respect , percentage is up to them, if its the pool ,... One third at least , depending on pool, boat full of newbies, questionable...good day,, good tip!!!!!
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

We split tips and 15-20% is customary. Just because fishing is tough and you dont catch doesnt mean you should tip less as long as the mate was helpful and did his job. If not then yes full power to tip less but base it on service not fish caught. We work hard fish or no fish and trust me we want to catch em just as bad if not worse then the customers I like full coolers and bloody decks it gets the blood flowing . And if you have a problem with one of the mates take it up with the captain. And 20 bucks out of the pool is fine but when I net or gaff the pool winner for someone that I may have also rigged up and instructed and they dont give us a dime it hurts more then my wallet its happened more then once and it really does hurt. 1/4 to 1/3 of the pool is customary but 20 is fine. Trust me when fishing is slow this business is tough.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned

just curious how much the mates get from the boat? $40? $50? or does it depend on the number of fares.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honger
just curious how much the mates get from the boat? $40? $50? or does it depend on the number of fares.
On our boat the number of fares determines the number of Mates . Each boat is different . We sailed with 12 Saturday night which is only enough for one Mate so two of us shared everything .