NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wanaque reservoir - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-23-2017, 06:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Wanaque reservoir

Interesting first post dude! You may wind up fishing in the county jail pond if you get good behavior! Lol!!! Just go and fish it! "F" the rules! "Damn the man!" Let us know how you do once your free!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 10:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Wanaque reservoir

I wouldn’t want to suggest that rules should always be disregarded. Not at all. However rules are made by men who can be fallible and or have less tha n the best of intentions. Before the Split Rock Reservoir was public it was a private recreation area for the locals. It was plastered with no trespassing signs that locally ignored. There were five boat launches in the northern sector above the island. Once the conservation easement was put in place the locals fought tooth and nail to prevent it from becoming effective. The stalled access for three years and when the boat launch was constructed it was put in about as difficult a place as there was.
Sometimes we need to be at least skeptical of the rules.
BTW. There is a usable dirt launch at the southwest corner of Charlotteburg.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wanaque was open to shore line fishing by permit only. This was many moons ago..I was able to obtain numerous passes back in the early 1960's. Have to say never so so many LMb over 5 pounds in any NJ water shed..However never landed one either, did catch many 2 to 4 pounders thou.All released.The surprise fish I caught there were the numerous trout-- Rainbows, browns and brookies. No giants but many from 17 to 20 inches..My PB brookie 18 inches was caught there. I have so say with the fishing pressure either non existent or still by very high connections,,This place may have several state records swimming there. When I drive past i always look for that blast out over deep water more than likely a big brown chasing herring to the surface..Still makes my blood boil.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I fished Wanaque many time both with and without permits . Have not fished there in many years as I am far too old to outrun the patrols. The trout come from the stream on Westbrook road which is stocked by a private club and Wanaque river before it was monksville. There are also huge musky, walleye and smallies from Monksville and just about everything else that swims. That said, if you trespass and they decide to pursue it you will be in for a shitload of fines. Plenty of other places to fish in the area without getting in trouble.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Pike and Hybrids in there too. There's current pictures out there if you know where to look...

16' MirroCraft V-Hull
12.5' Perception Sport Sound
10' Pelican Pursuit
Clam Kenai Pro
Instagram: rjjasonek
Old 10-31-2017, 10:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
As per explanations stated here before, the reservoirs that feed directly into the drinking supply have always been off limits.
Charlotteburg with a kayak was unbelievable when the roads, not the signs allowed. The staff turned a blind eye..
I'm not sure if that is quite true because Monksville feeds directly into the Wanaque. All of the Newark sheds, the Manasquan and Merrill Creek are primary drinking water sources.

Last edited by briansnat; 10-31-2017 at 10:39 PM..
Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
I'm not sure if that is quite true because Monksville feeds directly into the Wanaque. All of the Newark sheds, the Manasquan and Merrill Creek are primary drinking water sources.
if there is a water treatment plant directly on the water body it is considered primary ...secondary reservoirs are for storage/ground water recharge purposes...
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
if there is a water treatment plant directly on the water body it is considered primary ...secondary reservoirs are for storage/ground water recharge purposes...
True for the strict definition of primary, but the idea that they are more vulnerable and should be off limits to recreation is silly. What happens in Monksville will make its way into the Wanaque. if something happens in one of the sheds they can take it offline, but it would seriously impact the water supply in dry years.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansnat View Post
True for the strict definition of primary, but the idea that they are more vulnerable and should be off limits to recreation is silly. What happens in Monksville will make its way into the Wanaque. if something happens in one of the sheds they can take it offline, but it would seriously impact the water supply in dry years.
It is about being able to get a contaminant directly into the intake of the plant...you would have to dump an enormous volume of stuff into monksville in order for it to be concentrated enough at the plant 7 miles away...

as they say "the solution to pollution is dilution!"
Old 11-29-2017, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I've seen some very recent pictures, it is crazy.