NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Your Favorite Mono - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Your Favorite Mono

I've also got some poles rigged with the XLsmooth casting but might be switching to stren after seeing how well it performed over this past season. The strength is no comparison between the two in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Trilene XL here. It's inexpensive and does the job
Old 03-01-2016, 08:57 PM
NJFishing.com Member

now what about fluorocarbon line? does anyone use it. I have a buddy that swears by it but I have never made a comparison on mono to fluorocarbon. you guys seem happy with the mono. whats your thoughts on it?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:06 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyStick View Post
Let's give this thread a try here - I threw this up in bait & tackle - 125 views and only 1 reply from someone who likes a brand that hasn't been made in years.

What's your favorite mono?

I'll start - No matter which new ones I try, I always seem to come back to Trilene XL (red pack) which has never done me wrong...

I got some Suffix Elite to try this year as well - we'll see...
P-line CX for Spinning and CXX for baitcasting. Buy the next lower lb test than your normal size for the CXX, the 10lb handles like 12lb test.

Both lines are great but like most mono's, it gets tricky over 15lb for baitcaster and 8 and up for spinning, usual line memory issues.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:10 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Neutral View Post
now what about fluorocarbon line? does anyone use it. I have a buddy that swears by it but I have never made a comparison on mono to fluorocarbon. you guys seem happy with the mono. whats your thoughts on it?
Save your money and use thin braid with a Flurocarbon leader, it can handle probably everything you want to use for spinning.

I am personally going away from using FC now, it's a money issue for me. I know the industry and endorsed pros beat it into our heads every year how superior it is to use FC for jigs and CB fishing. At an average of $20+ a spool, I just cannot justify spending that kind of money for 10 rods and reels. Done it with mono for years, no reason why I can't do it again.

But if you really want to jump into the game, my top 3 brands

1) Gamma (expensive)
2) Sunline Sniper
3) p-line (best value)

Found Trilene 100% and Seagar to be just as good, no complaints. Use the Dick's 10 off 50 coupon for those.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Neutral View Post
For different applications it can be useful as it has different properties than mono and braid. Leader material is stiffer, has a higher abrasive resistance, sinks faster and has low stretch as its very dense where as main line flouro has a mixture of mono and leader material traits it isnt quit as stiff but also lacks the abvrasion resistance. I mostly only use flouro leader material for making leaders for Ice fishing and musky fishing. For the price I think the main line flouro is a rip off but if you cast a lot of suspended jerk baits and want it to get down deeper it would be a good option.
Instagram @bloody_decks_bowfishing
Facebook - team bloody decks
Old 03-02-2016, 12:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Your Favorite Mono

Trilene XL, won't go with anything from DuPont as they pollute the world.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Site Sponsor

Im big stren guy like how it turn that bluish color like to think most people see it when before casting over my line hahah also im a big fluro guy seaguar red label on some other occasions, for salt i like the ma moi
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 03-02-2016, 10:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm with Mikey on Stren. Never had a problem with it (I use 8 lb test for most applications) and they make a color called clear blue fluorescent that is easier to see which helps a lot even at night...I add a fluoro leader for line shy fish.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For the guys asking about Fluoro as main line - I use it for light finesse fishing and through my years of research only 1 has stood the test of time, especially on spinning reels - Seaguar Invisx - it's the only one that has NEVER given me the typical fluoro / spinning issues.