NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Kill switch law? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 03-16-2021, 09:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default New Kill switch law?

I saw a release from BoatUS describing a new law that it is a requirement to use an ECOS (Emergency Cut Off Switch) when operating a boat. The new law goes into effect on April 1. Did anyone else see this?
Old 03-16-2021, 09:49 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: New Kill switch law?

https://coastguardnews.com/coast-gua...es/2021/03/10/

Vessels less than 26 feet.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think it only applies to boats/motors that have a lanyard style ECOS factory installed, which is almost all boats/motors in the past 20 years or so... If you[like me] are still running 30-40 year old boats /motors that were not wired with factory installed lanyard cutoffs I don't think it applies..

If it does, and I'm wrong, every little 4 hp 2 stroke on every little 10 foot jon boat, is going to have to be hacked into, and have a device installed somehow into the ignition primary, which poses a problem because on a lot of small outboards there is nothing really exposed to "cut into".. Its all under the flywheel on many small motors... It would have to be something that grounded- [ or opened somehow], the ignition secondary wiring which is the coil/plug wire.

Not sure how this is going to work out, because the law states that its not required on boats that are not traveling at "planing speed"[their terminology]].. So that same 10 footer with the 4 HP is exempt, but if you DARE put your 1965 7.5 HP on that will carry the boat up on plane, are you now illegal??. I hope this particular "regulation" is not another excuse for the State Marine Police/CG/ County and local marine patrols to stop and annoy any boat owner they see up on plane to check and see if they are "in compliance"... A LOT of very good, very competent, very safe and very conscientious boaters don't use a lanyard on their belts, because they aren't drunk and partying and falling into their own propwash at 30 knots.... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 03-17-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Old 03-17-2021, 10:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I thing the Lanyard must be attached to you at planing speed. I doubt a 4 hp could put anything larger than a paper airplane on plane flat out.

It is speed triggered law. Obviously an operator being tied to an engine kill switch would make singlehanded docking virtually impossible.

And I dont this it's state law. Only federal (USCG). Like Boater Safety Certificates are only state law. The USCG don't give a damn about your BSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I think it only applies to boats/motors that have a lanyard style ECOS factory installed, which is almost all boats/motors in the past 20 years or so... If you[like me] are still running 30-40 year old boats /motors that were not wired with factory installed lanyard cutoffs I don't think it applies..

If it does, and I'm wrong, every little 4 hp 2 stroke on every little 10 foot jon boat, is going to have to be hacked into, and have a device installed somehow into the ignition primary, which poses a problem because on a lot of small outboards there is nothing really exposed to "cut into".. Its all under the flywheel on many small motors... It would have to be something that grounded- [ or opened somehow], the ignition secondary wiring which is the coil/plug wire.

Not sure how this is going to work out, because the law states that its not required on boats that are not traveling at "planing speed"[their terminology]].. So that same 10 footer with the 4 HP is exempt, but if you DARE put your 1965 7.5 HP on that will carry the boat up on plane, are you now illegal??. I hope this particular "regulation" is not another excuse for the State Marine Police/CG/ County and local marine patrols to stop and annoy any boat owner they see up on plane to check and see if they are "in compliance"... A LOT of very good, very competent, very safe and very conscientious boaters don't use a lanyard on their belts, because they aren't drunk and partying and falling into their own propwash at 30 knots.... bob
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 03-17-2021 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Enhancements
Old 03-18-2021, 04:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I found this in the USCG FAQ...

Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020. If the boats’ primary helm is inside an enclosed cabin it is not required to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoop View Post
I found this in the USCG FAQ...

Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020. If the boats’ primary helm is inside an enclosed cabin it is not required to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch.
OK, so I guess that means older boats are exempt, It also means that motors must be wired to accommodate the required circuitry, as many older outboards were not... I think I will just fish out of old wrecks until I can no longer operate a boat.... bob
Old 07-06-2021, 08:20 PM
NJFishing.com Member

I was inspected by the Coast Guard yesterday. I wasn’t hooked up in my 21ft CC. They checked everything but never mentioned the kill switch hook up.