NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Pier Fishing - Rod Reel Selection - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-02-2018, 09:37 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Question Pier Fishing - Rod Reel Selection

I just started saltwater fishing again for the first time in 20 years. I'm looking for advice on getting a spinning Rod and Reel for pier fishing to catch Fluke and similarly sized fish. Advice I have read and heard so far says 8 Foot Rod w/ Medium Heavy power. I would prefer a 2 piece rod for travel purposes but i'm having trouble finding one so I may have to go 1 piece. I would like to keep it under $100 but would go up to $150.

Not sure what I am keeping but I have bought the following online so I can see them. Waiting for shipments:

Penn Pursuit II Spinning Combo (8ft, Medium Heavy, Reel size 6000, 2 piece) - I think the reel size is way too big for what I need.

Abu Garcia Cardinal Bruiser (7ft, Medium Heavy, no info on the reel) - only $39 so I'm guessing very cheap but reviews are good.

Penn Battle II 5000 reel only ($68 at Walmart, was $119)- Not sure what rod to pair it with.

***I'm not totally against a 7 foot rod or a medium power rod I'm just not sure how they hold up on a pier which is why I'm looking for advice.

Last edited by NJMike27; 08-02-2018 at 09:47 AM..
Old 08-02-2018, 03:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Pier Fishing - Rod Reel Selection

Tsunami makes some nice 3 piece rods at a reasonable price.

My advice is to go to a well stocked bait and tackle shop near where you want to fish and ask their advice. Your likely to be happy with your purchase and get some valuable information.