NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Weekend Defeat - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-28-2017, 05:17 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Weekend Defeat

So I dedicated this weekend to exploring the waters of the Musconetcong River. I just got into fly fishing this past spring so I figured it would be a good place to visit considering it's stocked with over 50,000 trout.

Saturday I went early afternoon to a few spots around Hackettstown. The water was a little high and running fast from the rain. In fact it was too high I didn't care to wade a river I've never been to. So much for that plan.

Sunday I went back determined to make something happen. I checked out a few spots downstream from where I was Saturday. It's really a beautiful river with great sights. The river flow was better and the spot I went to was perfect for wading. I spent the afternoon trying different nymphs. I finally hooked into a trout, but as luck would have it, it spit the hook. This happened twice more before I began to wonder if maybe I just suck at hook setting with a fly rod. After a few more hours of walking around and trying different flies I called it a day, feeling so unsatisfied and defeated.

Muskie 2 - meatwad 0

Have a nice day!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Weekend Defeat

I got into fly fishing myself about 2 years ago, and it took me awhile to get comfortable with nymphing. One thing I learned is that trout take nymphs much more subtly than they take bait or lures. More often than not you won't be able to feel when they bite.

Were you using a strike indicator? Asking because using a strike indicator or an indicator built into your leader (such as colored monofilament) makes a huge difference. Countless times (especially when it's cold out) the indicator revealed a strike, when I didn't feel a bite. I also set the hook whenever the rig doesn't move naturally. Numerous times when I thought I was snagged, it turns out I had a bite!

Also, having the right amount of weight on your setup is key. If you have too much you'll be continually snagging bottom. Too little and the nymphs won't sink deep enough in time to reach the fish. But if you put your mind to it, you'll figure it out.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandesi View Post
I got into fly fishing myself about 2 years ago, and it took me awhile to get comfortable with nymphing. One thing I learned is that trout take nymphs much more subtly than they take bait or lures. More often than not you won't be able to feel when they bite.

Were you using a strike indicator? Asking because using a strike indicator or an indicator built into your leader (such as colored monofilament) makes a huge difference. Countless times (especially when it's cold out) the indicator revealed a strike, when I didn't feel a bite. I also set the hook whenever the rig doesn't move naturally. Numerous times when I thought I was snagged, it turns out I had a bite!

Also, having the right amount of weight on your setup is key. If you have too much you'll be continually snagging bottom. Too little and the nymphs won't sink deep enough in time to reach the fish. But if you put your mind to it, you'll figure it out.
Thanks for the tips. I had a strike indicator on. I think I may be too gentle on the hook set for fear of kicking the line back and causing a major tangle.

Have a nice day!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

You're welcome. I watched the video below when I was first starting and found it to be helpful. Just remember set the hook downstream when nymphing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afN9i6gEhec
Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Are you using small nymphs? I've done a bit of nymphing and fly fishing myself. Those hooks are small and can often pull easily. One thing to remember is to always set the hook downstream from the fish. Since they face upstream, your likely to get a more solid hookset.

In all honesty you might not be doing anything wrong...sometimes it just happens. I've had days where I pull a lot of hooks in most types of fishing I've done. The fact that you are getting bites, recognizing the bites and initially hooking the fish means your doing a lot RIGHT.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Get some soft hackle hares ears in size 16 and you will catch them! guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks for the tips. I'll be back out there this weekend hopefully.

Have a nice day!