NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Racor issues...... - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Racor issues......

Anyone else run into a problem with removing the clear bowl from the filter?

Been using Racors forever and never had this issue until the past 2 seasons. Trying to remove the bowl and the threads in the filter spin. Tried lubing the threads on assembly and teflon tape. Neither worked. Had to cut open filter to grab a hold of the black plastic threads inside then remove the bowl.

Getting frustrating doing this year after year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	109273  

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-03-2017, 06:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Racor issues......

I also have had this issue and others. I received two Racors last week to replace my current ones. Yes it can be a bear to get the bowl off the bottom. My problem was, I had a small fuel leak on one of them. I removed the filter and noticed that top gasket swells up after contact with the fuel. it would not fit back in. changed to a new gasket and still had a leak. ??? removed the filter and found a small pinhole in the bottom side of the filter. The leak dumped about 2 gallons of fuel into my bilge. When I opened the package I was happy to see made in USA on it. Not so much anymore. Parker needs to improve their QA.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Hydraulic fittings I use at work are Parkers. Never an issue until a few years ago when they started to be stamped "china" on them. Nothing but failures since.

No idea about the fuel filters but strange I'm running into the same issues starting at the same time frame.

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 05-05-2017, 05:06 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I replace quite a few of these every season, s3213, s3214, s3220, s3227 TUL and SUL's are the most popular. When installing the clear bowl, the o-ring gets motor oil on it before installation. No need to crank down on these with brute force. I rarely have seen this problem.
The problem I am seeing and you do want to watch for is the Threads on the plastic cup being affected by Ethanol. You go to snug it up and you think its just about tight and then it pops off.
MirrorCraft 16 Tin Northport Troller Johnson 25