NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Rockaway River - Dover - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-17-2015, 11:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Rockaway River - Dover

So I took my car to my mechanic in Dover to get an O2 sensor changed, and since the shop was next to the river, I decided to walk along the old railroad tracks. I was surprised to see some decent sized runs & riffles that looked like fish habitat. I even noticed
a trout stocking sign at the Mercer St. Bridge. Unfortunately there was also a old bike in the river within visible distance of the bridge.
I know that this section is classified as Non Trout, but I was wondering if anyone has success fishing this stretch for smallmouth bass & pickerel in the summer.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Rockaway River - Dover

There are trout in that section, at least until the water heats up. As far as other fish, I've caught a lot of smallies in the Rockaway but all were dinks. I think my PB smallie on the Rockaway is about 10 inches. Most of the ones I get are around 6 inches and under. I assume if there are babies, mom and dad have to be around somewhere, but I've never found them.

Last edited by briansnat; 05-19-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Rockaway River - Dover

Thanks for the info Brian. I am going to give fishing the river in Dover a try before the water gets too warm.