NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Okuma Safina Pro Combo - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Okuma Safina Pro Combo

Hey guys, I have been shopping around for a new reel and rod, mainly for trout and bass. I have about a $50 budget as I do not want to spend much. I found the Okuma Safina Pro Spinning combo.

This combo includes a 6' Medium rod, which is not specified, and an Okuma SPa-25 reel.

Would this be good for what I am going to be fishing for, which is trout and bass?

And one more thing: what staples should I have for trout and bass when the season opens? I know senkos for bass, but what should I definitely have? And what are some good colors?

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Safina-C...5950945&sr=1-3

I got the 6' model which comes with a Okuma Safina Pro SPa-25.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Re: Okuma Safina Pro Combo

What kind of trout?

Trout generally takes lighter line and much smaller hooks.

I'm assuming you mean large mouth or small mouth bass usually take 8-10# test on a spinning rod with a stiffer tip.

A good bass rod is good for lake trout but not so good for small stocked brook trout.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Okuma Safina Pro Combo

I'd say that outfit is a bit short and on the light side as far a bass rod and too heavy for most trout you're gonna catch. For bass I'd go with a 6'6" or 7' ML, M or MH rod and a reel that can handle somewhere in 8-20 lb test range. If I could only buy one bass rod it would probably be a 6'6" M, fast that handles 8-15 lb test line. For most trout I'd go with a 5' to 6'6" UL or L rod that can handle line in the 2-8 lb test range. I love my 5'6" Shimano Clarus UL for trout. The problem is that when you go for one size fits all you wind up with equipment that isn't right for either.

I'd decide which I'm going to fish more for, bass or trout, then get a rod appropriate for that. Then later on, when I can afford it, get another rod for the other fish.

For bass, as you mentioned, Senkos. I like black with or without flake, green pumpkin & watermelon. You also would do well to have some other worms. I like the Zoom Trick Worm and Rage Tail Thumper. Also flukes like the Zoom Fluke or KVD Caffiene Shad and some Brush Hogs (or similar plastic). Of course some offset worm hooks for them in 3/0-5/0 and maybe a 1/0 or 2/0 octopus hook if you prefer wacky rig. A few crankbaits will be a good idea for bass. Floating Rapala (I like 3 1/2 inch or 4 inch for bass), Shad Rap , Rat-L-Trap and something like a Bomber to go deeper. In addition to the floating Rapala you'll want a couple of Jitterbugs and some poppers (I like the Rapala Skitterpop) for topwater. Add a few jigs (Strike King makes a decent, inexpensive jig) spinnerbaits (Again check out Strike King because theirs are good values) and buzzbaits and you're set. As far as colors, I generally prefer my crankbaits to to look like fish so I usually go for silver or silver and black. Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits I like white, black and chartreuse. Jigs I like blue, black and brown. Plastics I prefer darker colors like the aforementioned black, green pumpkin and watermelon. I also like junebug or some other dark blue plastic.

For trout a jar of Berkley Power Baits, #8 hooks, some small spinners like Mepps, Rooster Tail and Vibrax (mix up silver and bronze blades), a few small cranks like the small Rapalas and Rat-L-Traps, and I've done well recently using YoZuri Snap Beans for trout. I even bagged a 3 lb hybrid striper and a nice smallie with a Snap Bean on UL tackle. The only problem is that you're going to have a heck of a time trying to cast trout sized lures and baits with that combo.

Add some weights. Bullet head worm weights for your plastics and a splitshot assortment. Pliers for unhooking fish, nail clippers for cutting line and of course a net (look for rubber nets, they don't tangle the fish and lures).

Last edited by briansnat; 04-04-2014 at 04:26 PM..