NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Lakes that stop producing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-19-2022, 02:43 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Lakes that stop producing

First off new here and glad I found this forum. Just to get an idea of what I fish is the lakes that I hope to see no one else on during the day. So I am a back water guy with a canoe looking at waters less than give or take 15 or so acres. Had a body up in Sussex that was a honey hole for the longest time. Type of lake that had a great mix of 12" to 20"+ bass. Big ones weren't a guarantee but you'd always catch in the 15+ range of fish on a trip. Last 5 years and especially last 2 the numbers have tanked. Granted in that time the pressure there has increased alot where you might see 3-4 others on the water with you. This year the lake bottomed out with lucky getting a couple bass in the 12" range. Being I didn't see but 3 other people try there I think everyone who goes there knows something is up. My buddy theorizes that the lake got crappied and they are now they dominate fish there. Which I have a hard time believing. I did see the weed choke is gotten to the point where you only have maybe two foot of clear water in the spots where open enough to fish. My personal theory is that last year and this years summers are hotter than I can recall and this is not a particularly deep lake. I'm guess that coupled with the weed choke has just cut down on the population. Curious if anyone has seen a honey hole just completely turn off like that? I know lakes cycle but the quickness in the way this happened still has me scratching my head on what went wrong.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Lakes that stop producing

Fish kills ruined a few of my shallow, small pond fishing spots. Overfishing ruined the Carnegie Lake Aqueduct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CB19E87-1097-43FF-B8F9-C99423573DD4.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	162781   Click image for larger version

Name:	EB19BDD8-76EE-4E12-A703-7B98D869CF82.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	162782   Click image for larger version

Name:	66A0A9C8-37C1-4AB4-A7C6-692F8633BDF5.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	162783  
Old 12-20-2022, 08:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

most places big or small end up changing for the worst as time goes on from what i've seen. it sucks. sometimes you can counter it by using new and unconventional techniques or lures, if it's because of increased pressure. sometimes environmental issues have caused the fish to behave completely different (i.e. weed kills cause fish to start roaming open water more or destroy spawning locations or fry survival rates/bait production) I've had countless 'honey holes' turn to crap over the years for various reasons... very annoying but it is what it is.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 12-22-2022, 11:45 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
most places big or small end up changing for the worst as time goes on from what i've seen. it sucks. sometimes you can counter it by using new and unconventional techniques or lures, if it's because of increased pressure. sometimes environmental issues have caused the fish to behave completely different (i.e. weed kills cause fish to start roaming open water more or destroy spawning locations or fry survival rates/bait production) I've had countless 'honey holes' turn to crap over the years for various reasons... very annoying but it is what it is.
Last few times threw my whole tackle box at it trying different things and wound up with one little guy. The weed choke limits what you can do. Just depresses me that and have to accept only time might repair that lake.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

small lakes and ponds "die" over time naturally. the ongoing cycle of organic (and inorganic matter) collecting on the bottom slowly but surely eliminates depth, "silting in" making them more and more shallow every year. Unless maintained, a small lake or pond usually ends up being a wetland or marsh.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

eutrophication
Old 12-20-2022, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Do you think Carnegie is done? I hope not, good size lake for heavy pressured central NJ.
Old 12-20-2022, 10:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godrew1972 View Post
Do you think Carnegie is done? I hope not, good size lake for heavy pressured central NJ.
No, b/c 99% of the people who fish there fish 1% of the lake virtually the same way targeting the same species of fish. The bucket brigade got wind of it the last season or two and has been detrimental to a single area, keeping everything caught. It'd be great if the NJF&G frequented that area more often.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godrew1972 View Post
I caught nothing the last time that I fished on the Carnegie Lake Aqueduct.