NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

jig rigging for tiles please? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-14-2015, 03:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default jig rigging for tiles please?

Hi folks
Looking for rigging advice for jigging tiles please.
I got some jigs for tiles but seeing I’ve yet to fish for them, I am unsure how to rig them.

For large Lucana’s style jigs, should they be on a split ring & or swivel?

For large glow hammered diamonds. They have a ring, swivel & siwash hook at terminal end. I know diamonds don’t fish well w/ a swivel on top, but think I’ll put a split ring on top for better movement / action. Should I put a glow octopus skirt on bottom hook? Should I put an assist hook on top of the larger / heavier ones?

For those long thin butterfly / speed / knife style jigs, how should those be rigged? I know they get an assist hook on top on a solid ring above a split ring. May I assume they should be attached to the rig w/ a swivel? I plan on putting a small (2 ½”) glow octopus skirt over a glow bead on the top assist hook. How should I attach the bottom assist hook?

Finally, for tying the jig rigs, I see the bait rigs use 3 way swivels. Would a dropper loop be a safe way to attach a teaser (B2 or Tsumani glow squid) above the jig? How far above jig should the teaser be? Should that hook be on a swivel, say a bead chain swivel? Or, should I get a crimper and crimp on a 3 way swivel and use some tubing to help the teaser line stand off? Having the teaser / rig fowl on the way down would be horrible ¼ mile down. Because some jigs use a swivel and some don’t I’m thinking of a heavy paperclip style clip to attach the jigs on the rings ( as opposed to a snap swivel). Would that be safe? My other idea was to use a spider hitch loop to loop through the jig ring. It’s how we used to tie cod jig rigs. I do think the doubled / looped 80lb mono will hinder the jig’s action as opposed to a clip. Oh yea, would you use 80 or 100lb mono?

Any and all rigging input / advise is greatly appreciated!
Thanks much!
JD