NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

First boat - returning to NJ.com - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default First boat - returning to NJ.com

Guys,

I have had ID/password issues and never got it set up right. I have been posting on here for a long long time. Used to be The Angler.

Anyway, bought my first boat. 14' Almuacraft Deep V with a 20hp 2 stroke Johnson. 95/94.

I am so excited and half scared to death which is probably a good thing. Been focused on getting all my safety equipment and maintenance in order.

Local boat dealership wants 400+ for a tune-up and impeller change. Seems awfully high but he is local and easy to get to. Nervous about mysterious items being added to the bill as well. He could tell me I need a new "wing ding shaft bolt" and I wouldn't have a clue.

The boat is supposed to be in very good working order, maintained and sparingly used. Never seen salt water.

All advice is welcome. And if you a guy making a moron out of himself trying to launch his red Alumacraft in the sandy hook/raritan bay area, give him a hand or a kind word.

Can't wait to get back to posting my reports.

Thanks

Matt
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: First boat - returning to NJ.com

I bought a 1995, 14 ft, 9.9. side console, Grumin, bass-type boat with all the accouterments, like fish/depth finder, live well, storage, ect, 4 years ago and it was one of the best thing I could have done. Knock on wood, the only problems I have ever had has been when the fuel line is not properly attached. Other than that she has run like a dream. Crabbing in the upper Barney, hybrid fishing in Spruce Run, and Fluke fishing in the Manasquan River, in the time I have owned her she has brought me and my dog Maggie, hours of enjoyment with a minimum of maintenance issues. But I have been diligent about washing her down after any salt water adventures. This is extremely important especially for a boat not expressly designed for the marine environment.

For salt water, I fish almost exclusively the Manasquan River but sometimes it gets tricky with the wakes of the large boats. I always have to keep alert for wakes and waves. I have had it out in the Raritan bay but it was a calm morning. Once the wind picked up I have to get off the water. 14 foot with a 20 horse is going to fly but a boat that size and you have to be very, very cautious. I always keep the bow pointed in the direction of where most of the waves/wakes are going to come from. DO NOT EXPECT ANYONE TO BE COURTEOUS OF A SMALLER BOAT. In fact there are many people out there who will intentionally try to wake you.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks. I figured I am mostly ok up through Sandy hook bay and the rivers. Have to watch the weather and other boats. I'm not a thrill seeker by any stretch and just want to able to be out there. I have rented the skiffs from the local places and have done well.

On a calm day I can see hitting raritan bay or launching from that area and staying in the more protected areas.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have fished 16' deep aluminum boats for quite a while. River, bay, and on occasion the ocean. Be very careful of weather, especially in a 14' boat which is less forgiving. I would also stick to the river and bay in a 14'er. Be careful of weight trim, anchoring technique etc, The big boats will not always respect the fact that you are smaller with less freeboard so be proactive in avoiding dangerous situations with other boats.

Re the tune-up/impeller, the price seems reasonable and I would do it on an older motor with unknown maintenance history. A problem on the water can be expensive and dangerous. A little prevention is a good investment. A tin boat can be a fun and economical way to participate in local saltwater fishery.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

there is alot of the raritan bay that has great protection for small boats.
Launching out of Keyport you can make it to MANY good fishing spots.
You can catch Flounder, fluke, bass and blues there.
And can also go the back and fish the triangle area.
watch your weather and like LHL said NEVER expect the bigger boats to be courteous.

I fished many years in a 14 footer with a 30 on it and had ALOT of fun

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have had a 14' Aluminum since 1982. The old 20hp Mercury I purchased in 1986 new and ran until Fall 2007. I did carb work 2-3 times, ignition work once but NEVER never did any water pump work on it. Upgraded to a 25hp 4 stroke Merc in Spring 2008.

It's was run EXCLUSIVELY in salt water for over 20 years. Keyport, Morgan, Navesink, Shrewsbury, Sandy Hook Bay, Barnegat Bay and ocean side to the Cedars on fluke drifts on good weather days. I sold it after i bought the Mercury 25hp.

It depends on the weather that day and the boat traffic (NEVER USED ON WEEK ENDS). You never get too far from shore anyway.

It's got a 12 vdc dual-cycle battery, 12 gallon fuel tank, Lowrance FF, Garmin GPS, Icom 25 watt VHF w/ hailer, and MOST IMPORTANTLY a 2000 gph Rule automatic Bilge Pump in it.

KEY-
Pick your days wisely. If you're getting your ass kicked or have a visible following sea DON'T keep going. That simple.

Capt. Frank
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the great responses so far. This whole thing is sort of a huge deal to me having wanted a boat forever and not having the resources to get it done.

Regarding a couple items. I am looking to purchase a portable handheld VHF. I do not have electric on the boat. I have a trolling motor and big 12v battery but no DC distribution type panel set up. I may build one but that won't be for a while. Any suggestions on these?

Regarding the bilge pump. I do not have one but need to add one. Can these items be directly connected to the battery with a switch or do I need a distribution panel or something similar to do this as well?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Good advice above.... I would not venture too far with the boat especially this time of year with the water temps as cold as they are and the unpredicatble weather we have in the spring... Stay in protected areas out of the wind and err on the side of caution until the water warms up and the weather becomes more stable..

I've seen more then a few small tin boats get swamped and people having to be rescued out by Sandy Hook... It usually occurs in the area around the tip of the hook and the false hook where the water can be very choppy because of the rips... The low freeboard on these type of boats is usually the cause for the swamping.

As said above, pick your days and avoid areas with heavy boat traffic..

You should definately take some time to get used to this boat since it's new to you... You will quickly learn you and your boats comfort level and limitations....

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Best way to wire a pump is directly to the battery.... You should have it controlled by a float switch and also have a manual overide switch so if the float fails you can turn it on maually.

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 03-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Here is a wiring diagram for you...
Attached Images
File Type: gif bildge pump wiring.gif (3.4 KB, 399 views)

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area