NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Salmon river help - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Salmon river help

So, it seems that I'll be in Adams, NY in mid-October. I've never done the salmon fishing before. Can I fish from shore or do I need waders? Will my catfish/striper rod (7' med. weight spinning) be enough to handle these fish? What kind of rigs/tackle will I need? Thank you for any help.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Salmon river help

What are the dates that you'll be there? If your up there the 18-20th of October, come join me and whole lot of other anglers. Lots to learn when it comes to Salmon and Steel!!!! Start off by bottom bouncing or drifting bait just like you do for trout here in NJ and PA. I caught my first Salmon on a 7 ft medium heavy Ugly Stick, still have the rod and it won't break!!!! I've tried to break it o. 40 lb Stripers and 10-20 lb Blues. This rod has been in my collection for 18 years. It will not die. Ideally you want a 8.6-10 ft rod for Salmon, leverage is everything in the river. Drift spawn sacks, flies, skein and whatever you can get your hands on. The reel is very important, make sure you have a deep spool with a strong drag!!!!!!!!! I've burnt out many reels on the SR!!! Only freshwater fishing in the NORTHEAST that will make your arms sore!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Any questions feel free to PM me!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:05 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just wanna add you probably want 15lb mono to a 12lb floor leader. Or so I've been told.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

And only 4ft of line past your weight is allowed.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Site Sponsor

Prime time!!!! Few salmon around lurkin and steelies galore!!! Just remeber light line the better more fish youl hook just harder to land lol fish the fish! And remeber u want to bouncin on the bottom evrey now and then not too much weight not to less either gotta find that happy medium for the piece your fishing!!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 AM
iceehot6766

I got my Penn 5500 all oiled up and ready for fishing......Going to get line today.......any suggestions....gonna be using it on a 8 1/2 foot Ugly Stick Med......I was thinking 20# mono......Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Site Sponsor

Spool it up with 10 /12 lb then your actual rig 8 lb these fish get very line shy with all the crap they get thrown at them, id fish fluro also!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

10-12 lb flourocarbon, the trilene pro grade in gold box casts good on spinning, so does the suffix castable floro. For leader spend the money and get seguar 8lb floro, its a tiny little spool and pricey, but its smaller diameter than normal, I swear by the stuff. The 10lb seguar is smaller diameter than my 14lb vanish, as said fish are very line shy.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Im headed up there for the first time also. Goin the 26th and 27th. Stayin at the Double Eagle Lodge. Super excited for it.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

10 lbs test big game get at Kmart or Walmart 1500 yards 10 bucks up over weekend got nice one lost bunch more cant wait for big school to come in sept 14 trolling lake at night with glow spoons can't wait first time for that kind trip black eagle rod 8 half foot fishing USA got 40 plus shipping perfect rod