NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Need help please - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-25-2020, 05:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Need help please

I just moved to forked river. We have tried all the three lakes here and have had no luck. Just looking for a place in the area me and my 5 yr old can go with a bobber and worms and catch some bluegill maybe some small bass any help appreciated !
Old 09-25-2020, 07:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Need help please

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishplc.htm#ocean
Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm not familiar with Ocean County that far south, but there must be plenty of ponds and streams in the Pine Barrens that hold fish (use Google Maps). If you are will to drive north about thirty minutes there's the Manasquan Reservoir.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The majority of waterbodies there are naturally acidic and unproductive. Chain pickerel thrive and are the top predator. Some small sunfish and maybe a few stunted LMB's. An oasis of productivity, due to the fertilized golf course, is Holiday Lake in Stafford. Good populations of LMB's and sunfish. Public access is via Ocean Acres Park, Stafford, New Jersey.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:10 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

If you’ve tried all three you must be referring to Lower , Barnegat , Deer head try by the dams with your worms , 1/16 oz ball jig and a 1.5” twister tail/ or grub . Minnows and or killies. As Mark B said may be loaded with Pickeral but must have Crappie an bluegill also.Water quality isn’t the best.lve never fished there just going by info provided.
Don’t give up try other things untill you start catching.
Good Luck.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would flip the script if I were you. Your right in the middle of saltwater paradise. I’d fish the canals and inlets with clams, crabs, swim shads and other salty baits. Plenty of bait and predators running in and out of the salty small waters right now. You can have a blast down there.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I'm not that far from you. I tried some freshwater spots near here a couple of years ago when I was new to the area. I was underwhelmed by the public options as compared to northern NJ in the middle of the state.

A couple of years ago I fished either Lake Barnegat or Deerhead Lake for bass. I don't recall which it was but I do recall getting skunked. I went back on a "see if there is any life there" trip and caught very small sunnies and small catfish from the bank on barbless trout hooks with worms under tiny bobbers on 2lb test. The water didn't look great. I fished the salt the next day and had a blast. So, long story short, listen to Eddie. If you have a boat the blowfishing has been good in the bay of late feel free to PM me for more details, but sometimes kids have a hard time with those little baitstealers.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Try manhawkin lake below the falls it's loaded with gills,bass ,catfish and perch and they all love crawlers
Old 09-30-2020, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm in Forked River also. The lagoons and tidal tribs are loaded with snappers. Little piece of spearing under a bobber is just as good as blue gill fishing.

Gustard Wood
Tidewater 216