NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Another Spinning Rod or Move onto Baitcasting? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Another Spinning Rod or Move onto Baitcasting?

Like the title says, I am about to get my bonus and it is time for another rod, looking to spend between $150 and $300 on the rod and reel combined, but not sure if I want another spinning rod or try my luck with a baitcaster? I only fish from the shore and I primarily fish for Bass. I am also going to eventually get a pair of waders, but currently just casting from the shore. I currently own an ultra light 6' rod with a light weight Pfleuger reel and then a 6'6" Fenwick HMG paired with a Pfleuger Supreme XT spinning reel. I love both and they both have their place out on the water, but at times I need something else haha. I was thinking about a 7' pole, not sure on the action and if I should go with a baitcaster, but open to any and all of your guys' suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Another Spinning Rod or Move onto Baitcasting?

If you can only fish from the bank definitely put the money towards a pair of chest waders. Being able to wade along a shore line/river will open up a lot more water to you.

imo...baitcasters are a bit tricky from the bank if it is heavily vegetated...plus a baitcaster is really only effective throwing heavier >1/2 oz lures...
Old 07-06-2017, 06:30 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I have an Abu Revo NACL which I like... Nice and light which helps with fatigue if you are working the rod all day and helps with the sensitivity if paired with a light weight rod. I use it for togging and buck tailing.

If that's what you're after you should give one a try but make sure and match it to a light weight rod to get the full benefits.

Only drawback I see with these bait casters is they are not great for casting lighter lures. A spinner is much better and no backlash issues. Some of the new lightweight spinners like the Shimano Stradic CI4 are nice and light yet have some hefty drag ratings and in my opinion are much more versatile if you are looking to go light.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 07-06-2017 at 06:32 AM..
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Shore/bank beating = spinning tackle.

Shimano Stradic or Daiwa ballistic for reel. Rods are endless. I use a shimano cumara 6'8 MH. It's feather weight. Also, just recently started using the new line of temple fork outfitters Gary loomis tactical series rods. I have a 7'6 walleye rigging series rod and it's sweet. Light tip but a ton of ass in the bottom 1/3rd. They offer a variety in the tactical series. Decent price point too plus a lifetime warranty. Check out their conventional line up at the TFO website. I was more than pleasantly surprised by the craftsmanship.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have to agree with the above posts. if your only bank fishing go with a spinning outfit. choices are endless and its all subjective. recently I had to start switching out some of my old symetrys as shimano isn't making them anymore and some of mine are 10-15 years old. I picked up 2 ardent bolts recently and like them so far. time will tell how they hold up though
Old 07-08-2017, 09:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Check the classifieds I have a brand new 7' st croix perfect for what your looking for. Make me an offer!